Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup vs. SnapManager

Akshif
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I cam across with a situation with one of my customer, who has Netbackup 7.6 (with appliance and platform based capacity lics) and couple of NetApp Filers (FAS xxxx), with Snapvault, Snapmirro and Snapmanager suit licenses etc. Customer is looking for an integrated data protection solution. I believe Netbackup Replication director can be best suited for customer for backing up the volumes/ CIFS shares and with single policy they can trigger snaps, replication and then Backup to tape via NDMP wildcards.

But when the conversation comes to the point of backing up block level data i.e. LUNs of Oracle, Sql or exchange etc,customer is throwing a question that if i have SnapManager and with it I can do the application aware consistent backups, why should i use Netbackup?

I have searched a lot to find a good document which can provide me funtionality comparison between both SnapManager and Netbackup, but still all in vain.

I am seeing that with this point can change the whole solution, so would appreciate if someone can share the limitations of Snapmanager and benefits of Netbackup against snapmanager.

Very few i know but these are not enough to tap on right place :)

Thanks in Advance

Akshif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

riaan_badenho1
Level 2
Hi Snapmanager is a nice tool but its not worth much by itself. Can you place your snaps on tape? Can you seach those snaps via a central GUI? What about data that does not reside on NetApp? What about the client's operating systems? What about features like granular restore? What about transaction log level backups? There are probably more.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

riaan_badenho1
Level 2
Hi Snapmanager is a nice tool but its not worth much by itself. Can you place your snaps on tape? Can you seach those snaps via a central GUI? What about data that does not reside on NetApp? What about the client's operating systems? What about features like granular restore? What about transaction log level backups? There are probably more.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sorry but you can not compare these...netbackup is in a whole different league then snapmanager. Its like comparing netbackup with Windows backup.

Akshif
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks Maurijo and Riaan for your replies and in addition to points Riaan mentioned, i believe customer should also get litrate on purpose of shared storage and specially designed storage for backups. Even NetApp has tools for data protection but still it is not the backup management compnay.

Thanks Guys,

Regards,

Akshif