cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install 7.0.1, Duplications not working

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

I want to say sorry up front for the length of this post,  but I wanted to provide all details up front.

I have a problem with my new install and was hoping someone here could help me verify that I have my pools, policies, and so on set correctly to get it to work the way I want.  I had a vendor come out and help me install it so I thought all would be good to go, but it seems maybe I was wrong.  Here is the basic layout of my installation. 

Locations:

There are 3 physical locations,

Site 1:    Primary site in OH has a Master, a media server, a media server with tape drive in it(MStape), and a bunch of clients

Site2:     Secondary site in LA, has a Media server and one client

Site3:     Secondary site in SB, has a Media server and two clients

What I am trying to achieve:

Sites LA and SB backup their clients to local media servers then dedupe the data.  After that they duplicate the deduped image to the meda server at the primary site in OH.  In addition to getting all other site's copy 2 data, OH backs up it's local servers to it's local media server, then wirtes copy two to tapes that are cycled off-site.

What seems to be happening:

Local backups are going great, they are controlled by an Storage Lifecycle Policy that tells them to write to a Destination that uses a Storage Unit associated to a disk pool with only one media server in it which gives them no choice but to write to the one I want them to write to.  Duplications to off-site media servers.... are not working correctly most of the time.  I think it is because they are controlled by the same Storage Lifecycle Policy BUT it tells them to write to a different Destination that uses a Storage Unit associated to a disk pool with multiple media servers in it.  When a duplicate job tries to run, it arbitrarily picks a media server from those available in the disk pool, which are it's local MS and the off-site one in OH I want it to write to.  Problem is it almost always picks it's local MS, instead of the off-site one in OH, and then writes it's copy 2 locally again instead of off-site like I want it to.

Configurations:

Here is how the guy configured it. 

3 Storage Servers, named by location, type is pure disk, all contain the following media servers:

Storage Server 1:     MS-OH,MS-LA, MS-SB

Storage Server 2:     MS-LA, MS-OH

Storage Server 3:     MS-SB, MS-OH

3 Disk Pools, again named by location, type is pure disk, containing the following media servers:

Pool 1:    MS-OH,MS-LA, MS-SB

Pool 2:    MS-LA, MS-OH

Pool 3:    MS-SB, MS-OH

6 Storage Units, named by location and purpose... By that I mean if they are to be used for local backup he calls it site2-local, if it is to ce used for a duplication he calls it site2-copy for example.  They have the following media servers and pools attached to them:

Storage Unit 1:    OH-local, MS-OH, Pool1

Storage Unit 2:    LA-local, MS-LA, Pool2

Storage Unit 3:    LA-copy, MS-OH and MS-LA, Pool1

Storage Unit 4:    SB-local, MS-SB, Pool3

Storage Unit 5:    SB-copy, MS-OH and MS-SB, Pool1

Storage Unit 6:    OH-tape, MStape, No Disk Pool Associated

NO Storage Unit Groups...

4 Storage Lifecycle Policies, two for each site 2 and 3.  Each have 2 Storage destinations, one for use during Backups, and the other for Duplication, with separate storage units assigned

SLP1:      LA-OH-1week, Backup to LA-local and Duplicate to LA-copy

SLP2:      LA-OH-2week, Backup to LA-local and Duplicate to LA-copy

SLP3:      SB-OH-1week, Backup to SB-local and Duplicate to SB-copy

SLP4:      SB-OH-2week, Backup to SB-local and Duplicate to SB-copy

2 REPLIES 2

Dave97
Level 2

Hi,

We have a much more simple set up, but I seem to remember a problem we first had.

We write to a dedup pool on each media server and all the policies are setup with an SLP that writes firstly to the local deduping media server and then uses optimised duplication to copy the backup to the remote media server.

I seem to remember that we had the set up the Storage Units to be able to see both media servers and then change the properties to "Only use the following media servers" and specify the local media server.

Sorry if this seems a bit vague but it was a while ago. I will be building another NBU enviroemnt next week and setting this all up again - so if this hasnt been solved by then I may have more insight

NetBakAdmin
Level 3

Thanks, and thats OK, vague is better than nothing, which as you can see is what I've gotten so far....  I actually tried the config change you are suggesting yesterday, I configured a new SU and set it up with only the OH-MS selected to do a test and it worked.

New questions, to keep things from load balancing...  my network is too slow from location to location to allow for this to do any good.  Currently my Storage Servers are set up with load balancing enabled as such:
SB-SS - balanced to SB-MS or OH-MS
LA -SS - balanced to LA-MS or OH-MS
OH-SS  - balanced to OH-MS, LA-MS, and SB-MS

I think the guy set it up this way because he thought he had to to get the dedup working between the MS's involved.  In actuality it is causing problems, because of the aforementioned network limitations.  If I turn load balancing off on these Storage Servers will it kill my backups, or the deduping of them to their selves or each other?

I have a ticket open with support to try to get them to remote in and "double check" my configs of all this (pools SU's MS's etc) but it is going nowhere so far, hope to hear from them today.

Thanks again for the help,