Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

One to One SFHA GCO, VVR with NBU

KungfuPanda
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I am doing an internal evaluation on Symantec SFHA 5.1 with NBU 7.5 GCO cluster.

* Because my boss thinks I'm so free.

So, I have setup the following:

1 x single-node NBU cluster with SFHA on Site-A in RHEL6.1 VM. GCO yet to be enable. VVR yet to be configured.

1 x single-node NBU cluster with SFHA on Site-B in RHEL6.1 VM. GCO yet to be enable. VVR yet to be configured.

I have read many documents in SORT; but still unclear. My questions is ..........

Q1. Does VCS Virtual Name = Netbackup Virtual Name?

If answer is Yes, therefore "EMM Server=Netbackup Virtual Name" ?

and this "EMM Server" name is same across Site A and Site B?

Q2. Why does the VCS will not auto mount "mount point" in a single node cluster?

And the auto mount required the VxVM disk in CDS mode?

Q3. Instead of /opt/VRTSnbu, I have mount as /usr/openv. Can this work ? Any impact ?

Q4. Why the Netbackup Agent will not auto Start in single node cluster ?

Q5. Instead of /opt/VRTSnbu, I have mounted /usr/openv; installed NBU7.5 and converted it to VXFS.

Can this work in single node VCS-GCO and VVR prespective?

Q6. How do I configure DNS Agent for GCO? Is this pointing to EMM Server IP Address?

Q7. Is it possible to achieve all VCS in GCO, NBU cluster and VVR with TWO physical NIC cards?

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

VCS does not actually have a Virtual name.
VCS allows you to create Service Groups.
A VCS Service Group has a virtual hostname and IP address.
You can have many Service Groups in the same VCS cluster.
So, virtual Hostname in NetBackup Service Group = 
 = Netbackup Virtual Name.

Q2. Why does the VCS will not auto mount "mount point" in a single node cluster?
Cluster config for single node cluster is no different from multi-node cluster.
NBU service group needs a diskgroup, a volume, a mount point at the base of the service group.
If configured correctly, VCS will import the dg, start the volume, mount the filesystem, online the virtual IP associated with NBU master server name, then start NBU.

Q3. Instead of /opt/VRTSnbu, I have mount as /usr/openv. Can this work ? Any impact ?
No. This will not work.
NBU binaries are installed on local (UFS) filesystem.
Separate volume on own mount point (e.g. /opt/VRTSnbu) is necessary to hold NBU catalogs - images as well as EMM database.
This volume will be replicated to remote server. 
Only databases must be replicated, not binaries as well.

I have never experienced this as I have always followed installation and configuration steps in Installation Guide and Clustered master server guide.

Q5. Instead of /opt/VRTSnbu, I have mounted /usr/openv; installed NBU7.5 and converted it to VXFS. 
Maybe this explains the issues you are describing above.
1. Create volume in ownn diskgroup large enough to hold Image and EMM databases
2. Create vxfs filesystem on new volume
3. Create mountpount for new volume (e.g. /opt/VRTSnbu) before starting installation as per steps in above manuals

Q6. How do I configure DNS Agent for GCO? Is this pointing to EMM Server IP Address?
Cannot remember details. information on how to configure and use GCO with NetBackup, see NBU in Highly Available Environments Guide

Q7. Is it possible to achieve all VCS in GCO, NBU cluster and VVR with TWO physical NIC cards?
Can we assume that you mean 2 physical NICS per single cluster node?
If so, yes. 
'Normal' NBU traffic will use one NIC that is linked to the virtual hostname.
Replication can be configured using private network on 2nd NIC.
VVR recommendations w.r.t private network for replication can be found in VVR Admin guide (links to manual in https://sort.symantec.com/documentation

Also see:

PS: If you are NOT familiar with SF/HA and VVR, best to get assistance from a Symantec Consulting Partner.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Wow, this is SO out of my league.

I would urge you (if you haven't already) to post a copy of this thread in the appropriate Storage and Clustering Forums.  Unfortunately, I'm not even sure which one(s) would be a good start...you're touching a lot of products there!  Good luck!

Marianne
Level 6

VCS does not actually have a Virtual name.
VCS allows you to create Service Groups.
A VCS Service Group has a virtual hostname and IP address.
You can have many Service Groups in the same VCS cluster.
So, virtual Hostname in NetBackup Service Group = 
 = Netbackup Virtual Name.

Cluster config for single node cluster is no different from multi-node cluster.
NBU service group needs a diskgroup, a volume, a mount point at the base of the service group.
If configured correctly, VCS will import the dg, start the volume, mount the filesystem, online the virtual IP associated with NBU master server name, then start NBU.

No. This will not work.
NBU binaries are installed on local (UFS) filesystem.
Separate volume on own mount point (e.g. /opt/VRTSnbu) is necessary to hold NBU catalogs - images as well as EMM database.
This volume will be replicated to remote server. 
Only databases must be replicated, not binaries as well.

I have never experienced this as I have always followed installation and configuration steps in Installation Guide and Clustered master server guide.

Maybe this explains the issues you are describing above.
1. Create volume in ownn diskgroup large enough to hold Image and EMM databases
2. Create vxfs filesystem on new volume
3. Create mountpount for new volume (e.g. /opt/VRTSnbu) before starting installation as per steps in above manuals

Cannot remember details. information on how to configure and use GCO with NetBackup, see NBU in Highly Available Environments Guide

Can we assume that you mean 2 physical NICS per single cluster node?
If so, yes. 
'Normal' NBU traffic will use one NIC that is linked to the virtual hostname.
Replication can be configured using private network on 2nd NIC.
VVR recommendations w.r.t private network for replication can be found in VVR Admin guide (links to manual in https://sort.symantec.com/documentation

Also see:

PS: If you are NOT familiar with SF/HA and VVR, best to get assistance from a Symantec Consulting Partner.

KungfuPanda
Level 3
Partner

Sorry for asking a lot questions - out of confusion & thanks a lot for trying to understanding my setup issues..

Can re-ask the Q1.

can  VCS cluster name (not the server physical name) = Netbackup Virtual Name ?

eg. For Site A; 

Cluster name = nbu_clu_A= 10.0.0.1 (IP Address)  is  same as the

Netbackup Virtual Name= nbu_servicegrp= 10.0.0.1 (sharing same IP Address as Site A_Cluster name)

Therefore, this name is the same as GCO IP which with link up to another cluster Site B.

eg. GCO IP Site A ; 10.0.0.1 will link up to GCO IP Site B ; 10.0.0.2

Is this workable?

The reasons is because I only got two physical NICs.

1st NIC = SMTP, DNS Agent

2nd NIC = NBU Service Grp, VCS service Grp, VVR, GCO

Due to different VLAN, the 2nd NIC will only be use for Catalog & NBU & VCS related stuffs.

* Thanks again for sharing experience and advice.

Mouse

It's better to keep so-called cluster name (used by WAC and VCS console) separate from NBU virtual name. Are you running out of IP addresses in Class A network???

Main reason for that is because they will be controlled by two different service groups (one is ClusterService and second is NBU service group).

One NIC can have more than one IP.

VCS will perfectly work with 2 NICs, although it's absolute minimum configuration

You really need four IP addresses on each node:

1. NBU Virtual IP

2. ClusterIP, also used by WAC (GCO)

3. VVR IP

4. Physical node IP 

KungfuPanda
Level 3
Partner

Hi All,

I finally get the One Node VCS GCO Cluster (with NBU as global Service Grp and VVR as two site replication) after long 4 months of trial and error. Think i will find a new job after this project.

Tips for VCS GCO with NBU cluster and VVR

1. Always make reference to VCS, NBU release note, SCL for Netbackup Cluster

2. Wrong config during the initial installation will engage in long troubleshoting process. Please be sure what entry to provide to the installation wizard.

3. For VCS, GCO with Global Group and VVR. Please do the setup in sequential order.

(a) VCS BASE Installation / configuration with VxVM and VVR

(c) NBU Cluster Base Installation / configuration

(c) Configure VCS (to enable GCO, WAC, Heartbeat, RVG-PRI, DNS Agent and GLobal Grp) 

Answers for my questions

What I really meant is VCS Cluster Name = Netbackup Virtual Name.

Ans: This of course a No-No. Cluster Name / IP cannot be used as Virtual Name for Netbackup Cluster.

Ans: Of course it will auto mount unless it is wrongly configured as in my case.

Ans: No. /usr/openv is stricly for nbu binaries. And the EMM (nbdb) shld reside in the /opt/VRTSnbu . Please do not change the NBU master path .. /opt/VRTSnbu during setup.

Ans: Netbackup AGent will online and monitor processes as in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/cluster/NBU_RSP

Ans: The EMM (nbdb) shld reside in the /opt/VRTSnbu only. A service group RVG-PRI shld added in the NBU Service Group.

Ans: DNS Server need to configured to allow authentication from server to change /modify IP Address . This is automated using VCS DNS Agent.

Ans: Yes. Recommended is two.

I will mark Marianne as solution as the her answer is the closest. Thanks all for your hints / tips.