cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of values in Exclude registry key

mwill
Level 3

Is the order of values in the VERITAS/NetBackup/CurrentVersion/Config/Exclude registry key under Windows important? If so, in what way and is there a way to avoid reordering during (silent) upgrade from NBU Client 6.5 to 7.0?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

I can't see that it makes a difference. If it did, there would be a "move up/move down" option if you're configuring it in the GUI.

Thats my logic....

Stumpr2
Level 6

no

mwill
Level 3

The reason I ask this question is that during an upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0 the exclude list registry key is getting reordered. This is resulting in items ending up in the wrong policy class. We're having to work aroudn this with a VB script in addition to the upgrade process which isn't really ideal. 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Can you clarify? What issues exactly are you encountering? Are you saying that exclude_lists for a specific policy, e.g. exclude_list.policy1, are now being applied to a different policy, e.g. policy2?

I know there were issues with exclude_lists in NB7 but only *NIX clients were affected:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135929

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137767

mwill
Level 3

This is regarding the EXCLUDE registry key. Say it has the following value:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
C:\Documents and Settings\somedir
*.ndf
CLASS:SOMECLASS
C:\Some other path

After the upgrade this now looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\somedir
*.ndf
CLASS:SOMECLASS
C:\Some other path

Meaning the default exclusion has moved into the specific policy class

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

As Riaan & Bob have already stated it should NOT affect this registry key in any way shape or form. If that is the case it is affecting the very fundamentals of your backup policies.

Log a call, get it looked at & get it escalated!

Seems strange tho' that no-one else has picked up on this?

mwill
Level 3

Apparently this has been happening for version prior to 7 and is quite well know in our organisation. I've just completed another set tests and confirmed this is the case. The default values get moved to the bottom of the list.

We do have a case open but I wanted to double check our understanding to make sure we're not missing something (that and Symantec are being a little slow in getting back to us!).

Thanks all.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Can you confirm on an affected client whether they show correctly within Host Properties/etc/etc? Would seem strange for registry to display a "cosmetic" change that isn't reflected in the actual clients attributes.

"Apparently this has been happening for version prior to 7 and is quite well know in our organisation" - never come across it before (altho' most of our E/Ls are on *NIX boxes) in any of our upgrades from 4.5 to 6.5 nor the 4 years or so I've been looking at this forum!

mwill
Level 3

I don't have access to the GUI myself, but a collegue tells me that it is messes thing up there to. 

Regarding prior updates, I'll withdraw the statement that it's been happening in prior version as I can't get a definite confirmation of that. At the moment I want to focus on the 7 upgrade. 

The only thing I can find the install logs related to the Exclude key is the following:

02-10-2011,13:49:03 : Key: \SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config, Name: Exclude, Value:

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Sorry for the long silence. In my original reply I stated the order should not matter, but the files should stay in "their" section. As you showed in your example above, the files to exclude are getting moved between sections, not good.

The order of the classes and files listed with in them are not important (except for default which is first). It is however important that the files don't  escape / get moved out of there sections.

Some examples from my test machines. The first sections is obviously the default and applies to everything. Anything behind that would start with a CLASS: statement and excludes everything listed below it in that exclude policy. That can be made more granular by adding a SCHED: statement.

The next exclude policy starts with another CLASS: statement

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*

CLASS:test_excl1
C:\temp
D:\Some_stuff
CLASS:test_excl2
C:\windows\system32\drivers\
SCHED:Daily_Full
E:\more stuff

So, yes, your files shouldn't be moving around like that.

Please let us know if this is fixed by support/patch.

**EDIT

I verified the behaviour if the sequence in registry is changed. It does mess up the view in the GUI. I changed the registry to look like this.

CLASS:test_excl1
C:\temp
D:\Some_stuff
C:\windows\system32\drivers\
SCHED:Daily_Full
E:\more stuff
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*

See the snapshot for the view in the GUI

mwill
Level 3

Thanks for the comprehensive testing and thorough reply. I'll forward this on to the guys here. As soon as I have some response (it's taking Symantec some time...) I'll post back here. Thanks again. 

Edit: It's the same thing I've been seeing - the default values move to the bottom. Everything else stays in order. I'm really suprised this hasn't been picked upt before.