cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping calendar schedules

rjrumfelt
Level 6
This seems like a pretty basic thing people might want to do.

I want to schedule a full backup to be sent offsite on the last Saturday of each month, but I want weekly full backups taken every other Saturday.  I was thinking about using Calendar based scheduling, and I selected the monthly offsite full to be backed up on the last Saturday.  However it appears that the Calendar doesnt take into account the fact that sometimes the last Saturday is the 4th Saturday of the month.  This means that for my weekly full backup, I must configure the schedule to run on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays, but when I select the 4th Saturday, it sometimes overlaps with the "Last Saturday of the month" selection I have for my monthly full backup.

Does NBU automatically correct for this with Calendar scheduling?  If not, how to get around it?

Thanks

****EDIT****

And I'm not quite sure how, using frequency based scheduling, I can ensure that the monthly offsite backup takes place on the last Saturday of each month
4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Backup frequency determines schedule priority

If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy, the backup frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses:

Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups) always have higher priority. For example, a schedule with a backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of one month.

If NetBackup encounters a backup policy with two schedules (one full, one incremental) that are each due to run:

if each is within the defined time window, and

if each is configured with the same frequency value,

the schedule that is first alphabetically runs first.

For example, NetBackup prioritizes the following three schedules in the following order:

• monthly_full (frequency is one month)
    • weekly_full (frequency is two weeks)
    • daily_incremental (frequency is one week)

If all three schedules are due for a client, NetBackup adds the job for the monthly full to the worklist and skips the other two.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
and fall on the same day?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups) always have higher priority. For example, a schedule with a backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of one

if you are using calender and you have a weekly chosen by Recurring week days
then you have another schedule with the last Saturday chosen

the recurring weekdays has a once a week backup
the last Saturday has a once a month - so it should run the once a month backup.

to double safe it give the weekly schedule name that starts with Weekly
give the monthly schedule starting with Month  that way M comes before W so again the Month should be the one chosen.

Set up and see how it goes.  Let us know if it works as expected.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Is what I need - I feel an enhancement request/ideas thread coming on...