cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending action required?

basithr77
Level 3
Hi,

I am trying to read LTO2 tapes on a LTO4 drive, I have changed the drive density to LTO2 prior to attempting a restore. When initiate an import in NetBackup 6.5.3 running on a Windows 2003 server the job goes into a pending state saying: A pending action is associated with the resource request. User intervention may be required. () I read the NetBackup Administrators Guide Vol. 1 and on page 497 there is a section on how to handle pending actions, I followed the steps as intstructed but when I try to display the pending action I get a error message saying Unable to display pending action for request 12878. How can I get my LTO4 drives to read my LTO2 tapes? I have contacted Symantec and have a case open with them for the past week and this issue has still not gotten resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6

LTO drives can read one level back and maybe two if things are just so. 
The tapes never mount?  Perhaps they have have L1 barcodes?

nmedina
Level 3
what about keeping the drive density to lto4 ? maybe L1 barcodes is the problem like wrobbins said..... try to change barcode...

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
in the gui

activity monitor column called "State Details"  does it say anything?

under device monitor a third window opens up at the bottom - does that say thing about what it wants?

when you brought the L2 tapes into the library does their media type match the tape drive type?

basithr77
Level 3
The issue is with the barcodes, the Spectra T200 library is not reading all the characters in the badcode i.e. the old library use to read the L2 tapes 00156L2, whereas the new library reads it as 00156L. When I try to do a read it is looking for a tape that ends in L2 but only finds the L and does not read the tape. The tape barcode is a L2 barcode and I have changed the density on the tape drive to HCART2 which is the density on the tapes. Is there any way of changing the labels without actually putting new labels on the drives? Maybe there is a way to get the drive to read all of the characters on the tape label?

Thanks!

nmedina
Level 3
Netbackup will not mount the cartridge without the correct type of barcode...does spectra read standar barcode? make your own barcode label .. shortly with L2 ..

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
if the tape is still showing as a scratch because you have not imported it yet you can change the label.

(BTW you library has an option on whot report the labels to NB - but as you are arealdy have tapes going you cannot change that now)

you can use the vmchange  command to change the barcode or change the media id that shows up in netbackup.

Just make sure the media id is changed to what it was when it was written.

Will_Restore
Level 6
in the GUI go to Media and Device Management
Select Media, Actions, Inventory Robot
Select Update volume configuration, click Advanced Options
Select Media ID Generation tab and click New
Create a rule for the robot in question (click Help as needed)