Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Failed on Host - Media Server

JHeaton
Level 6

NBU 7.1 Capacity

Master Server - Windows 2008 R2

Media Server - Windows 2008 R2

I'm adding a new media server.  I installed the Symantec software on the media server, made Hosts file entries for each other in the respective files, and turned off the Domain firewall on the new media server.

I am able to ping by hostname or ip from either machine.  bpclntcmd -hn and -ip work from both machines.  But, when I'm in NBAC on the master server, and try to go to host properties, media servers, and double click the new media server, I get Ping failed on host blah.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  I need to start backing up using this new media server Thursday night, so I need a solution rather quickly.

I've also been reading the section in the Admin Guide about adding media servers, and I can't add the robot and drives yet, as they are not connected to the media server yet.  That will be done first thing in the morning, but I was hoping to get the media server in at least.  Could this be part of my problem?

Thanks,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Try running bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache on both to make sure any incorrect entries have not been cached by NetBackup itself and then try again as it will have to rebuild the cache and should use you new hosts file entries

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6

This can happen if you have duplicate entries in the DNS and the NBU will get confused with that and will give you ping error.

You can also try the backups and see what kind of error message it generates, if it shows error code 58 and 59 then its the connectivity issue and if it works you can disable the ping from NBU admin console.

If still unresolved

Enable bpcd log directory on  installpath\veritas\netbackup\logs

Run the below command from master <installpath>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd directory

bptestbpcd -client <client_name> -verbose -debug

Post/attach the bpcd log output from master and clinet

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Try running bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache on both to make sure any incorrect entries have not been cached by NetBackup itself and then try again as it will have to rebuild the cache and should use you new hosts file entries

Hope this helps

JHeaton
Level 6

This morning I tried the clear cache idea, and I am now able to get into the host properties for the media server.

So, either the clearing of the cache worked, or time resolved the issue.  I'm leaning towards the cache.