cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping does not work from master, but it does from the client.

16ris10
Level 6

Master: Solaris 10

Client: Windows Server 2008 R2

NetBackup: 7.1.0.1

-

Some of my jobs are failing with error 58 and when I try to ping, it fails. However, sometimes i do get ping and I've noticed whenever I do, the jobs backsup successfully. I mean, how would I do the troubleshooting when I'm not even getting the ping? What i noticed, all fails when ping fails. However, ping does work sometimes, and I mentioned this to the network team, and they said, it's all good from there end so now you need to get the owner of that master server to do the work? What does this mean? I have full access to this Solaris10 master server, can someone please guide me? and yeah, I assure you when the ping works, i get all bpclntcmd and whatever correct and working fine. it's just when I don't get the ping, i get 58. and I have also noticed, it tries 3 times, and sometimes its fails on 58 but on retry it backsup successfully.
-

The ping from Master server is on/off, very shaky. Client ping working 24/7.

-

Help?

43 REPLIES 43

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Troubleshooting nbsu extract is a separate issue. Please speak to your OS support.

Marianne
Level 6

Run netstat -nr when all is fine and keep the output in a text file.

Do it again when ping is not working and post both outputs.

Your network team should also be able to help you interpret the output.

Next time ping is not working, do all network lookup tests, especially 'nslookup <client-name>'.
If that does not work, call your network team and show them.

Add /etc/hosts entry when this happens and see if ping works then.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In relation to the nbsu command you can run it with a -nozip switch on the end, that way it does not compress the results so you dont have anything to uncompress anyway to view the results.

When a ping does not work is it trying using the correct address? If not this is a DNS or routing issue and hosts file entries all round should help - so all clients added to the Master and Media Servers hosts files and all Master and Media Servers added to all clients hosts files.

Hope this helps

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Is this issue really related to NetBackup ??

Dear 16ris10 ---> Kindly take advice from your OS or Network Team.

Will_Restore
Level 6

or is there a rash of 'host lookup' type threads lately?

It's a bit like taking a Ferrari off-road and complaining about the ride quality.

NetBackup cannot function without a good network environment. 

Marianne
Level 6

Trust NBU to troubleshoot entire environment!

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

cek your firewall. or run this command

# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bge0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
inet 192.168.62.100 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.62.255
ether 0:14:4f:b1:9b:30

# netstat -rn
Routing Table: IPv4
Destination       Gateway           Flags        Ref        Use  Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
192.168.62.0      192.168.62.100     U           1          40   bge0
224.0.0.0         192.168.62.100     U           1           0   bge0
default           192.168.62.1       UG          1           0
127.0.0.1         127.0.0.1          UH          1           4   lo0
#

# cat /etc/defaultrouter

Try to move the server to a different switchport i hope that resolved your problem

16ris10
Level 6

Hey I have the netstat output, but not the default router command. I assume default router command also has to be run on the client? Well then, my client is Windows and not Unix. Kindly let me know, cause from the table i'm not able to understand the default router from the routing table of the client..

16ris10
Level 6

ok, got the default router too.. its actually listed there only.. let me ping it now..

16ris10
Level 6

I just read your post's last line, well how do I do that?

btw, pinging default router is ok. did it 20 times.. continously and its works fromt the master server.. howoever ping'ed the client 20 times too, and it failed 5 times..

16ris10
Level 6

i got the netstat -nr output and i pinged the default router 20 times form the master. 100% success but pinging client gives me 75% success..

what to do now? host entries are added on the client, now tell me where do i enter client's entry on master? we have solaris10 and the nsswitch thing too.. i will be greatfull if you could list all the steps to be taken.

Marianne
Level 6

"what to do now? host entries are added on the client, now tell me where do i enter client's entry on master?"

Edit /etc/hosts on the master server and add the client.

Have you showed the network team the 75% ping success rate? Surely they will understand that it is NOT a NetBackup problem?

16ris10
Level 6

Yes, i did. they said, contact the owner of that server (master server).. I don't know what do they mean by owner of that server. master is solaris, and i think they meant by contacting the unix admin, right? i do have root access to all unix servers. you know where to look for this problem?

I'll go ahead and add the host entry as you have mentioned. nothing else right? I see the host entry is already there, its just that it's commented out.

no need to restart the services? or bprdreq -rereadconfig will do? 

16ris10
Level 6

they said, they don't see any problem from their side (network side). its probably the master server issue.

16ris10
Level 6

hey i see /etc/hosts is just a link to another file. where do you want me to make a change? in the link location or in the inet directory one?

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          12 Jul 25 10:10 hosts -> ./inet/hosts

Marianne
Level 6

vi /etc/hosts

it will update the actual location.

16ris10
Level 6

ok, here i go. let's see in a few mins then.. thanks.

16ris10
Level 6

its read only. i'll contact unix admin to make the change. although i work through root, but i think it would be better if i ask him to make the change.. idk.

Marianne
Level 6

This thread is turning into everything EXCEPT NetBackup!

Save read-only files with
:wq!

16ris10
Level 6

:innocent face:

alright i just made that entry. thanks. let's see..