Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred Interface for clients

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi 

I wanted to backup the client through dedicated backup nic with an isolated network with backup server. We have two nics on backup server and the client.

The client is directly connected to backup server through cross cable. Please suggest me the best way to configure the backup for this client.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Let assume the master server production networks are called

nbumaster01 and nbumaster01-direct

On the client you specify nbumaster01-direct as the master server to connect to. This will only work if nbumaster01-direct and the client is on the same sub network. A cross cable is will be on the same sub network. 

There is no need to specify preferred network in this case

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just specify the DNS name of backup server NIC on the cross cable connection as the master server.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Could you please guide me how to do that. this client is already configured with master through production ip and now i wanted to route it via backup nic. Do i need to add client host property--> Preferred netword or Use spesified network interface ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Let assume the master server production networks are called

nbumaster01 and nbumaster01-direct

On the client you specify nbumaster01-direct as the master server to connect to. This will only work if nbumaster01-direct and the client is on the same sub network. A cross cable is will be on the same sub network. 

There is no need to specify preferred network in this case

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ajith,

Just make sure that the master and client only resolve each other via the backup IP. So easiest way to do this is to add host entries on them.