cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preserving file attribute when restoring to a different server (windows)

aske_andersen
Level 3
HI,

I am running Netbackup 6.5.2a.

I want to restore files from a Win2000 (ntfs) to a Win2003 server (ntfs) - how do I preserve the
original file time/date stamp (File Attribute)  when I restore ?

(The time/date are set to the actually restore time)

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I just took a quick search in the admin guide. And I didn't find any info regarding this. Furthermore - Windows 2000 did not have the Kerberos security build-in so I would under all circumstances expect the date to be restore time  (Win2000 file meta data information does not fit Windows 2003 file meta data)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Just tested this.

Created a test file on one of our 2000 servers & restored same to a 2003 server (not something we do every day).

Tried it with the "Restore without access-control attributes (Windows clients only)" box ticked and unticked. In both instances the original time/date stamp was restored & not the time of the restore. Restore to original location - so no change to path. Also restored to different path & again date/timestamp was as per the original.

aske_andersen
Level 3

Thank you for testing.

Which version are you running ? ( I am running 6.5 at the client side)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Not sure about the clients. Probably some flavour of 6.5 but  I'll have to check on Monday to be 100%.

***EDIT***
Win2K source: 6.5
Win2K3 target: 5.1MP4 (of all the ones I could've picked! Will try a 6.5 client but will have to be later in week)

aske_andersen
Level 3
My Win2000 server are still running - I just lost the connection to the HD-array connected to the server
(containing the files) so what I did was to restore to the orignal win2000server (time/data was correct) and then simply zipped
the files into a archive and moved this to the new server.

Odd your restore to a Win2003 server dident cause any time/date issues.

Thanks for your help..