cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem on RESTORE FROM LTO-2 Media on LTO-4 Drives

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
We have changed TAPE library from LTO-2 drives to LTO-4 drives,also upgraded NBU to 6.5.3, 
Now we need to restore data from OLD LTO-2 cartridges, we tried everything & just found out that barcode on OLD LTO-2 media is ending with L1 ( which means LTO-1 media) but physical media is LTO-2,

I found similar problem & solution on HP site.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1282479

Now I would like to know what exact steps we will have to do to make this work? (changing Label on OLD media & adding them in media DB with OLD ID)

Our Netbackup version is 6.5.3 running on Solaris-9. Tape Library is SUN SL24 & old Tape library was sun SL25 with netbackup 5.1 MP7.

Please HELP
THANKS LOTS
SDP.

18 REPLIES 18

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hello
You have to change the current drive type from hcart (I hope Your LTO4 drives are of this type) to hcart2 - so NBU will find appropriate storage unit for these restores!!
So what have You to do is it change drives types in Your currnet storage unit from hcart to hcart2!
Restart ltid deamon and resubimt the restore - keep in mind that all currenlty running jobs will fail while You will be resarting ltid deamon.
You can use this guide as a support for this drive type change.
Device Configuration Guide for UNIX, Linux, and Windows ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290200.htm )

Short pat, go to the
Media and Device Management/Devices/Drives
select one drive and change its type from hcart to hcart2
then create addtional storage unit of hcart2 type and assing to it Your changed tape drive.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
I forgot to add that since You do not have the backup history on the current backup server (images on LTO2 tapes) You have to perfrom import of these tapes. Importing is described on page 336 in this gudie System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1 ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290201.htm )

Stumpr2
Level 6
quebeck gave the solution. please mark this as solved.

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Hello All
Thanks for your reply, sorry I could not reply earlier.
we have OLD catalogue backup & we tried mounting OLD media with new labels, we could mount it manually by moving from slot to the drive.
now netbackup doesnot recognise this as label is new,

Please HELP us with procedure for netbackup to recognise this media's , other than importing them as importing will be long procedure & we have catalogue in the server.

Please help.
SDP.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
and perform physical inventory - so NBU will read all logical lables from tapes!
I assume that You do have all catalog entries needed to perform restore on new NBU server.

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Hello Quebek
Thanks for your quick reply.
So u mean to try OLD media without barcode & take inventory, my question is will netbackup detect this new media with new id ,because this entry will not be there in catalogue, we have all OLD catalog with OLD entries.
Please advice
SDP

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
What happens, if you move one of the old tapes manually into a drive? Does NetBackup show the correct (old) Media ID in the device monitor? If it does, you should be able to start your restore - if tape changes are necessary, you have to do it manually and assign the requests by hand in the device monitor.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
what is the current status since I do not fully understand Your situation.

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Following is the problem-
1. we were having NBU5.1 with MP7 & L25 Library with LTO-2.
2. Since L25 is EOL/EOS  sun has given SL24 with LTO-4  drives, Since there was issue with LTO2 & NBU5.x we have upgraded NBU to 6.5.3
3. This is upgrade install so we can see all the OLD catalog details.
4. we created new STorage Unit -1 for new Library. with HCART for drives. (L25 is disconnected & we deleted OLD storage unit)
5. new backups working fine with new drives & new media (LTO-4)
now we want to restore data from OLD media  which were residing in L25, so we moved cartridges from L25 to SL24, after inventory we could detect them & we changed density of OLD cartridges from HCART2 to HCART (Same as LTO-4), when tried restore it says media cannot be mounted or not mountable.

6. Further investigation we found that media Labels are ending with L1 & NBU is considering them as LTO-1 media , when we tried mounting them manually we got message media is not compatible with drive.

7. then we removed barcode labels & tried mounting the tape manually in the drive &its moutning, but netbackup doesnot recognise this tapes.
8. we tried tar tvf /dev/rmt/2 which gives checksum error.
9 now we have labeled them with new barcodes ending with L2 & we can mount the media manually in to the drive.

now we have option of importing them manually? or is there any other way to add new entries in media DB & associate them with OLD ID's? 

Please advice
thanks lots
SDP

quebek
   VIP    Certified
could You please run this command against one new tape (lto4) and old one (lto2)??
bpmedialist -m NEW_TAPE_L4
bpmedialist -m OLD_TAPE_L2
for the same labeles please run this vmquery -m Media_ID

In addtion please post output from these commands
bpstulist -U
tpconfig -d

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m F002L4 Server Host = ay03

id rl images allocated last updated density kbytes
restores
vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS
------->
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
F002L4 0* 753 05/15/2009 13:51 06/04/2009 13:06 hcart 65706381
343 06/18/2009 11:05 N/A

root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O205L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O206L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O200L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O201L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O204L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O205L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O206L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpmedialist -m O207L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database

root@ay03:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin # ./vmquery -m F001L4 ============================================================================
====
media ID: F001L4
media type: 1/2" cartridge tape (6)
barcode: YSF001L4
media description: Added by Media Manager
volume pool: CatalogBackup (3)
robot type: TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number: 1
robot slot: 1
robot control host: ay03
volume group: 000_00001_TLD
vault name: ---
vault sent date: ---
vault return date: ---
vault slot: ---
vault session id: ---
vault container id: -
created: Thu May 14 18:59:46 2009
assigned: ---
last mounted: Sat May 16 10:02:46 2009
first mount: Thu May 14 22:55:42 2009
expiration date: ---
number of mounts: 4
max mounts allowed: ---
============================================================================
====

root@ay03:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin # ./vmquery -m O205L2 ============================================================================
====
media ID: O205L2
media type: 1/2" cartridge tape (6)
barcode: LTO205L2
media description: Added by Media Manager
volume pool: LTO2_Volumes (7)
robot type: TLD - Tape Library DLT (8)
robot number: 1
robot slot: 19
robot control host: ay03
volume group: 000_00001_TLD
vault name: ---
vault sent date: ---
vault return date: ---
vault slot: ---
vault session id: ---
vault container id: -
created: Wed Jun 03 14:34:25 2009
assigned: ---
last mounted: ---
first mount: ---
expiration date: ---
number of mounts: 0
max mounts allowed: ---
============================================================================
====

root@ay03:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd # ./bpstulist -U

Label: ay03-hcart-robot-tld-1
Storage Unit Type: Media Manager
Host Connection: ay03
Number of Drives: 2
On Demand Only: no
Max MPX/drive: 1
Density: hcart - 1/2 Inch Cartridge
Robot Type/Number: TLD / 1
Max Fragment Size: 1048576 MB

root@ay03:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin # ./tpconfig -d
Id DriveName Type Residence
Drive Path
Status
2 HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.000 hcart TLD(1) DRIVE=2
/dev/rmt/2cbn UP
3 HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.001 hcart TLD(1) DRIVE=1
/dev/rmt/3cbn UP

Currently defined robotics are:
TLD(1) robotic path = /dev/sg/c3t4l1

EMM Server = ay03

As per your request.
Thanks
SDP.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
So this command was not successfull
/bpmedialist -m O205L2 requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database
I assume this is Your OLD media with backup You would like to restore, right?
And this command gave the correct output
./vmquery -m O205L2

So now the question is
When You will preview Your restore what media label is indicating NBU??
is it O205L2 (I dont think so) or it is something else? Please share with us this info.

NBU has to be aware that the tapes media IDs returned by this preview option are in robot slots.

IE.
Old tape label was XOO205 (the logical one written on magnetic tape itself) its barcode was XOO205L2 (external media ID)
If You do not have these barcodes readable any more I would do this:
remove all media from robot. Write protect the old media and inject it into library, run
vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0 -use_seed
This will add all non-barcoded media to TLD residence.
Then run
vmphyinv -rt tld -rn 0 -slot_range from_slot_no. to_slot_no. -d hcart
Once NBU will reread the labels written to the media itself You should be able to perform Your restore.

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Hello Sir
yes Media ID ending with L2 is OLD media (LTO-2), It was marked with barcode ending with L1 & LTO-4 was considering it as LTO-1 media , so we changed barcodes to L2.
now we want to know how to change this ID L2 to L1 in the media Database as netbackup doesnot recognise L2 ID.
Please advice thanks

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
Have you tried my suggestion? Since you have to use L2 as the ending of you labels, the only way to make netbackup think of this tape as "*L1" would be to create a new label like "O205L1L2" and change the netbackup barcode settings to not using the last two characters of the barcode label - but this will probably screw everything else up. So please try my first suggestion first.

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Hello when i am trying to give vmphyinv command I am getting below message-
"Barcode conflict detceted: Media A00003 is non-barcoded. Theres is another media H205L1 with Barcode FKH205L1 in the EMM DATABASE"
I tried deleting  media ending with L1 in media setion of NBU console but its not allowing me to delete it.

Please advice
thanks
Subhash

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Now i think basically i would like to know how can we change the media id from A00003 to OLD one so it will work in restore,
thanks

Subhash
Level 3
Partner
Finally we managed to restore but not using new library,
even after trying your suggestion & changing logical label to old barcode it failed to work , the reason is backup was wriiten in LTO-1 format since barcodes used were for LTO-1 & LTO-4 drive canot read /write LTO-1
Finally we connected one of the drive from old LTO-2 library & doing restore operation from that drive.
Many thanks for your HELP, its Really amazing.
Thanks
S,

Alexis_Gonzalo_
Level 4
By the way, once we upgraded from a LTO3  tape library who readed only 6 characters from a barcode, to a LTO4 tape library who readed the 8 characters from a barcode.
Since we wanted to continue using both LTO3 and LTO4 tapes, I had to modify the default configuration during the "Configure Storage Devices", so each drive is "hcart3" instead of "hcart" ("hcart" seems to be NetBackup default for LTO4).

Now we have two options:
1) Continue using only 6 characters from the barcodes.
2) Using all 8 characters from the barcodes.
For the 8 character barcodes, we need first to do the following:
a) Insert LTO3 tapes in the library.
b) Logically move each LTO3 media to its new location (new robot, new slot, etc).
c) Rescan/Update Barcode.
d) Repeat from a) for all LTO3 tapes (don't know how to update barcodes without doing an "import").

I wonder if NetBackup will use the LTO4 data cartridges as intended (i.e, 800GB native, etc), even when using the "hcart3" configuration. I guess using LTO3 barcodes on LTO4 tape drives doesn't matter either.