Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with restoring VM with vCenter

bst740
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi!

I have a problem with restoring.

Our vCenter server fails and we would like to restore it from backup (VMware policy).

When I try to restore VM in original location, pre-recovery check fails:

NetBackup recovery host credentials accessible - Passed
Validation tests did not complete due to system error

I had no hope of such a method of recovery,

then, I added in Media and device management -> credenials -> VMware FQDN of ESX server, where vcenter VM runs previously. I choose type "restore ESX server", validated him successfully, restarted master, then media backup host.

In BAR in restore wizzard I select Alternate location, in vCenter server select "None", and chose my ESX server.

After that I have an error "Retrieving details of resource pools - Failed - system call failed (11)", "Retrieving details of data stores - Failed - system call failed (11)" and the same error in pre-recovery check:

NetBackup recovery host credentials accessible - Passed
Validation tests did not complete due to system error

So, what I need to do for recover it?

Thnks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rogerio_Borin
Level 2

Hi bst740,

As I understand, you want to restore the Vcenter server, right? I believe this is not possible because the VM Restore need a active vCenter Server to be done, including to authenticate the credential.

See link: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70882

Which included the observation: "Note: Do not enter logon credentials for the individual ESX servers that this vCenter Server manages. NetBackup needs credentials for the vCenter only."

Solution: Install a new vCenter (application) and map to the database vcenter or restore the database

Regards.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

R_Sathish_Kumar
Level 3

Hi,

Try s different credentials to do the restore. Use those who having admin access in V center instead of current one.

This may occur due to frequent account lock out of current credential provider.

I have an experience on this.

Regards,

Sathish

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

chk out this link ::

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH140078&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fs...

Solution provided is;

Perform an SSH to ESX Host and run:

# hostname

The above command will return the host name as it should be configured in the NetBackup credentials.  This host name should also be case sensitive.  For example if the ESX host returned:

# hostname
symcesx.hro.spt.symantec.com

But the NetBackup credentials is configured as:

SYMCESX.HRO.SPT.SYMANTEC.COM

Then the Pre-Recovery Check will fail.

!Note: It is also important that the VMware Backup Host can perform a forward and reverse lookup of the host name as seen by the ESX host

Rogerio_Borin
Level 2

Hi bst740,

As I understand, you want to restore the Vcenter server, right? I believe this is not possible because the VM Restore need a active vCenter Server to be done, including to authenticate the credential.

See link: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70882

Which included the observation: "Note: Do not enter logon credentials for the individual ESX servers that this vCenter Server manages. NetBackup needs credentials for the vCenter only."

Solution: Install a new vCenter (application) and map to the database vcenter or restore the database

Regards.

bst740
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Rogerio!

Thank you for this useful link! There is a right answer. So, right solution for my case is:

VMware does not support the restore of virtual machines directly to an ESX 5.x server that vCenter manages. To restore the virtual machine, select the vCenter server as the destination. As an alternative, you can set up an independent ESX server to be used for restores. You must add NetBackup restore credentials for that ESX server by means of the VMware Restore ESX Servertype.

Thank you very much!