cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pure disk and Advance disk pool is full. What we can do to free up some space on those pools

Born2rise
Level 4

In the backup environment,

We have advance disk pool and pure disk pool that is configured on same media server and we have tape libarary as well.

Now we are running out of space on both the pools. We do not have any other option for backup.I looking for an option through which i can move some data images reside on both pools can be duplicated to tape storage and then after duplication completed successfully that duplicated images can be deleted automatically from Advance and pure Disk pool so that we have free space for new backup started next day.

Can we do this or is there any other option? If yes then how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Go to the catalog section

Search for the image on the advanced disk

Duplicate them to tape

Expire the copy on Advanced Disk once duplication completes successfully,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst

Go to the catalog section

Search for the image on the advanced disk

Duplicate them to tape

Expire the copy on Advanced Disk once duplication completes successfully,

NBU35
Level 6

for existing Backup images please proced as per recommendation of Riaan.

for future backups, create SLPs. 

1st operation should be backup operation, targeting to Advanced disk poolor MSDP. retention period : expire after copy.

2nd operation duplicate, retention as per your requirements.

Born2rise
Level 4

Can we do the SLP configuration on Pure MSDP as well.

Born2rise
Level 4

Correction:-

Can we do the duplication in Pure Disk as well and then expire the image from pure disk pool?

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, but for puredisk/msdp expiring an image wont necessarily release that same amount of space i.e. if you expire a 1TB image, you wont see 1TB being free'd up. That is because of deduplication and many backups might reference the same objects.

Born2rise
Level 4

Thanks for the information Riaan,

I heard, there is some command which need to run on pure Disk to clean up the space against the images that has already been exipred. If you have any information for this for Symantec appliance and EMC datadomain.

RiaanBadenhorst

Not sure what the current commands on the appliance would be. There have been many changes in the past few releases so not sure if the referecnces you'll find to some crcontrol command would be accurate. Regardless these process are usually run at scheduled times by both appliances so I'd not worry about it that much. And as I said, in most cases, unless you delete almost everything you'll not see much difference.

Marianne

MSDP cleanup happens automatically. 
So, cleanup should've been done by now, right?

This TN should still be relevant:

How to reclaim deduplication storage space manually (PureDisk Storage Pool and NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Pool)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124914