cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about catalog backup

prats
Level 4

Hi,

We are using Netbackup 6.5.5 currently and we have a hot catalog backup to disk configured which runs daily.Since the catalog is now growing, it is difficult to back it up to disk and to retain it for longer period of time.

So we are planning to start tape backup with a longer retention period and the disk backup for a shorter period - say 3-4 days for easy access.

We cannot use the multiple copies option or the storage lifecycle policy option as the disk storage unit is on the master server, but the master server is not connected to the library.

If I were to create a separate hot catalog backup policy to tape in addition to the existing disk based policy, will it have any impact of any type on the catalogs?

I will have to schedule it roughly around the same time when the catalog disk backup starts, as we have a very limited quite time between the backup sessions.

I understand that disk backup may experience a bit slow down, because of this, but apart from that will there be any other problems?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 REPLY 1

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Prats

You may configure Two Catalog backups without any impact. There have been customer hwo keep two copies One on Disk for quick recovery and another on Tape for DR or as Safety Copy.

Another solution i would recommend you to keep Lower retention for your Disk backup if space is constraint and keep longer retention for Tape. But do periodic restores to validate the Data and Tape integrity.

Do let me know if above helps you.