cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSM causing failures; ntmsdata already excluded...what gives?

RollTheBones
Level 4
Hi all,

A common problem with Win systems is Removable Storage Management causing issues like this:

WRN - Removable Storage Management:
  unable to export database (WIN32 21: The device is not ready. )

The Symantec knowledgebase is helpful with some technotes, and they all say to exclude the file ntmsdata.  I know the location will differ based on OS,
in the cases I am seeing it is usually 2003 so it is located at <system drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\ntmsdata

What is driving me batty is I see this crop up from time to time and these systems already have the ntmsdata entry, it's like the exclusion is not being registered or something.
Is there something else I should look at here?  The only other relevant technote I can find is specific to 2008 clients and I don't have any of those at all, these are all 2003.

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

& fought with it on & off for a while.

Can't remember what version of NB we were running nor the OS of the clients, but believe it or not in our case, despite the "Use case sensitive exclude list" box being unticked in the Host Properties>Client Properties>Windows Client>Exclude Lists, it seemed as if it was being case sensitive - so maybe worth checking that you are using the correct case? Maybe also worth seeing if there is a trailing "space" if you've cut & pasted the path from a report?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You can see if the windows admin will let you turn off Removable storage management on the windows server.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231679.htm

RollTheBones
Level 4

Ah, good call on the case sensitivity.  Will check that.

RollTheBones
Level 4
Disabling RSM is standard, and I double checked just to be sure and it is indeed not running and disabled.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Just come across the documentation I had from the issue I mentioned in my previous post.

The various "fixes" I applied to a number of client exclude lists were:
a) changed 'ntmsdata' to 'NtmsData' in path (so case sensitivity evident here for some reason!)
b) actually mis-spelt system32 in the path! (had typed systems32)
c) removed a trailing slash from a lot of the paths
d) removed one instance of a trailing \NTMSDATA

So it seems a lot of the issues were PEBKAC in origin - problem exists between keyboard and chair!