cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Client timeout

Rowan_Buteux
Not applicable
We currently leave our client timeouts to the default. We are looking to up the timout to eliminate any 41 errors that occur in our environment.
Are there any draw backs to setting the client timeout at a much higher level on all our cleints?

Thanks
Row
10 REPLIES 10

h_m
Level 6
It�s a global change, so yes, it can have knock on consequences if set much higher.

Worst case scenario - If the timeout is set to say 30 minutes, then when a backup (or backups) starts it will grab a tape drive, and will then attempt to perform a backup for 30 minutes. If it fails, then the tape drive will become available, but potentially that tape drive will have sat there doing nothing for 30 minutes� So it�s a case of trying it out and amending the timeout setting accordingly� Multiply this issue for the number of drives in your environment and it could consume the drives for long periods of time when they could be backing up clients which don�t suffer from the issue.

Advice is to increase the timeout gradually, but the long term fix is to sort out the cause of the timeout, which inevitably will be down to the state of the network�.

DavidParker
Level 6
Hmm, I don't think the system grabs a tape until after the client has connected successfully; having a client that cannot connect doesn't usually take up/utilize a tape drive.

Another consideration to keep in mind with extending the timeout: depending on how long the timeout is, and how many attempts and what the retry period you are configured with are, you can have some impact on your scheduling. For example: if you have 3 attempts set and a timeout of 60 minutes, it will take ~3 hours before the job fails. Depending then on your retry period and the size of the backup window, you may not attempt another backup of that job.

$0.02

h_m
Level 6
Indeed the tape does, but the timeout error occurs after the master has made connection and a tape is assigned.... then the data does not flow to the media server..... 41 occurs.

DavidParker
Level 6
Ah, right!
It's been so long since I've seen one of those, I'd forgotten how they go!

Plus, with 21 drives in my library, having 1 drive taken up for a couple hours really isn't a big deal ...
=)

h_m
Level 6
Indeed, the only time it will affect your environment is if there is a major network glitch, that�s when it will affect all of the drives. A dodgy subnet on the network can also cause the problem, so it depends on how many clients you have on the affected part of the network and how many drives are assigned. You can appreciate it has more of an effect in an SSO env�.

VNR_VNR
Level 3
This kind of errors are usually configuration and routing problems.

Timeout parameters aren't a permanent solution. If these errors occurs because you have a weight load on clients or servers, and you try to extend the resolution only put behind the problem.

I had this problem, and solve the situation configuring the relaunch of an error status policy every hour during the backup window. The timeout, by default 300 seconds, and the bpconfig -tries option on one.

It's a different way to see this problem.

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Rowan,

What types of clients are getting error 41's and what types of backups are you running on these clients? The only time we really see that error in our environment is when we are running SharePoint backups and that's only because the CINC's take so long to search though a SPS V1 database. We bumped out timeout up ONLY for this reason, but it really shouldn't be needed for anything else that I can think of off top of my head. Our client read timeout currently set to 300 seconds for this reason.

Lance

eric_lilleness
Level 4
try making all clients that fail & all servers resolve host names from /etc/hosts instead of DNS

Hugo_Almeida_2
Level 3
Sorry guys. Posted in the wrong thread.Message was edited by:
Hugo Almeida

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
status 41 error
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277695

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 41 in NetBackup Server (tm)
/ NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 5.0 / 5.1

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/277695.pdf
status 41 flow chart

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1027355&page=10

also check network speed and whether or not the ports are running full or half d
uplex. On Solaris
determin nic speed and duplex ( you may hae to use ge or what ever if you are us
ing an interface other than hme)
# ndd -get /dev/hme link_mode
Interpretation:
0 -- half-duplex
1 -- full-duplex

# ndd -get /dev/hme link_speed
Interpretation:
0 -- 10 Mbit
1 -- 100 Mbit
1000 -- 1 Gbit

windows 2003 defrag