cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover catalog NBU 7.6.0.4

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hi all,

I have a problem with my catalog backup, I´ll try to explain everything what happened on the last weekend.

- On wednesday morning my NBU database was corrupted, and I started a real journey to recover it;

After unsuccessfull tentative I did open a case in symantec, the engineer after unsuccessful tentatives too, he did create a blank database to try recover database by GUI. No success too, after many times trying to recover it, allways same error shows, Error(83).

After a few times without success, Symantec recommended reinstall NBU. My NBU version 7.6.0.4 was, but I had before this release, 7.6.0.3 and made installation NBU 7.6.0.1 and 7.6.0.4. The recovery catalog lasted all night.

On saturday morning, I went to check and my surprise, only policies information was showed.

After some searches in internet, I resolved to do the following procedure:

- Remove NBU

- Reinstall NBU 7.6.0.1

- Applied NBU 7.6.0.3

- Applied NBU 7.6.0.4

- Tried to recover catalog again, information about policies, master server configurations, media server and clients too restored, but nothing about media, SLP´s and storage unit.

At this time I did recriate SLP´s, storage units, volume pools, according I did have notes.

------------------------------------------------------ #### -------------------------------------------------

At this weekend we had monthly full backups, and now I need recover information about my old backups.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks very much if some help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hello,

Thank you all for your assistance and help, I resolved my issue by import images from my storage units (disk pool) and now I´m import images with create_db option, it´s running ok and my images are appearing again.

Thank you very much.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If catalog backup was done using NBU 7.6.0.4, then this is the only requirement for catalog recovery.
Base NBU 7.6.0.1 followed by 7.6.0.4. 
NBU hostname and installation path must be identical to previous installation.

Status 83 is media open error.
You did not say if backup media was disk or tape?
This is a hardware error with nothing that can be done from NBU point of view to fix it.

You have marked OS as 'Not Applicable', but where devices are concerned, the OS is very much applicable as NBU needs the OS for I/O access to devices.

You also forgot to tell us what choices you made with regards to catalog recovery options.

OS is also applicable because we need to tell you where to find the Recover log.
If you can upload this log, it will tell us why the EMM database was not restored.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

I´m sorry Marianne, by forget information

OS is Windows Server 2012 R2, of master and media servers.

1 VMware master server and 2 fisical media servers with one storage unit each.

I did use recover catalog by choose DR file.

thanks.

Marianne
Level 6

The status 83 needs to be checked on the physical media server that did the catalog recovery. You need bptm log and also need to check OS system/application logs.

Contents of DR-file will tell you name of the media server and location of catalog backup (tape or disk).

Look on the master server for the Recover<date>.log file under ...\Veritas\NetBackup\Logs\user_ops\<user-name>\logs.

You did not tell us which recovery option you chose:
Entire catalog?
Or images and configuration?

The fact that you cannot see devices, media, etc, sounds like or images and configuration was restored.
The Recover####  log will confirm.

Please upload as File attachment.

(Catalog Recovery HOWTO steps can be found here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO106739 )

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Marianne, I tried to recover now, but tha same error appeared as you can see in attached file located on user_ops\administrator directory.

Thanks

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This would have generated a restore job in your activity monitor, you'll need to job details as well as the bpdm log from the server it is listing as media server (hopefully itself).

Marianne
Level 6

So, nothing was restored - it failed with status 83.

In the list of 'not restored files' there is no record of NBU relational databases in the restore log. 
Again - which recover option did you choose when you started the restore?

You are presented with 3 options when you start:

1. Recover the entire catalog
  2. Recover the catalog image files and configuration files
  3. Recover the relational database files

Which one did you choose?

To troubleshoot status 83, my previous advice still stands:
You need bptm log on the media server. 
If backup was written to disk, bpdm log will also help.

Please copy logs to .txt files (e.g. bptm.txt) and upload.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Thank you Marianne,

I´m waiting to final some policies in my nbu, after this I´ll test recover again and will send log files.

I´m using recover entire option.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

Hopefully you are NOT running backups in environment where you intend to run full catalog recovery?

You will need to recreate db's, which means that all backup info since last catalog backup will be lost...

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Attached files as you ask,

Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6

We need the logs from a failed catalog restore.

The Recover log is from 23 Feb:
15:06:49 INF - scheduler is suspended
 Restore Job Id=138
Restore started 02/23/2015 15:06:49

The bptm and bpdm logs seem to be today's logs (25 Feb) and contains no restore info.

We need a set of the same date logs after the failure: Recover log on master server, bptm and bpdm logs on the media server. 

What does the DR-file show as catalog media server and location of media?

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hello,

Thank you all for your assistance and help, I resolved my issue by import images from my storage units (disk pool) and now I´m import images with create_db option, it´s running ok and my images are appearing again.

Thank you very much.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

I´m so sorry Marianne, but I didn´t have logs before today, because there wasn´t a directory.