cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relabel tapes question

ctate
Level 4
This question is for Netbackup 6.0 MP6 running on Windows.  I am retiring one of my master server environments.  Can I take the tapes from that enivironment that are now scratch, relabel them with different  barcode labels, and use them in another Netbackup environment with a differenet master server?  Are there any special steps other than just labeling the tapes and importing them?  Will Netbackup just overwrite them with the new tape number, data, etc. ?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

i am not pretty sure but when you move one media from a master server to other master server with changing the physical label of media, you need not do any changes on netbackup, but if you intend to change the label of media, you need to relabel them logically using "bplabel" command, so that it changes the tape id on the media header.

regards, 
Srikanth. 

Stumpr2
Level 6
You will have to place an internal label on the tape that matches the external label in order to use the tape in NetBackup. When a tape is mounted the internal label is read. If the internal label does not match the external label then Netbackup will freeze the tape. If you try to label a tape that already has an internal label on it then you will have to force the command to overwrite the old label.

ctate
Level 4
Thanks for the feedback.  I ran through the process.  I used the GUI to do this.  I right-clicked the media and selected Label.  I unchecked "Verify media label before performing operation" and selected ok.  The tape was loaded and the label process ran.  I noticed under "Recorded Media ID" in activity monitor the old tape number was listed while the new barcode number was listed under "External Media ID".  The label process finished in less than minute.  I ran the process again to verify the "Recorded Media ID" label now matched the "External Media ID" and it did so it looks like it worked. 

Does this sound right?  I don't want to get bit by this somehow later if this is not right.  I assume I can use a bplabel command, but I want to make it easy for the data operators and I think this is the best way.

Thanks again.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The first time it reads AND displays the current internal label which is the old label. That will be displayed until the tape is dismounted. The next time the tape is mounted it will read the new label you created and display it.