cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Master Server Domain

Michael_Fisher
Level 4

I am in the process of configuring Netbackup 7.1 dedup and replication to a remote master server/storage at our DR site The documentation refers to a master server in a remote domain. What is the difference/install procedure between installing a second master server at our DR site and creating a remote domain master server? What is remote domain?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mick_Scott
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

A NetBackup domain is defined as all of the media servers and clients owned by "one" NetBackup Master Server. The Master server for a domain manages all NBU resources and schedules jobs across the NBU domain. The "one" NetBackup Master Server can run in a clustered environment where there are multiple physical nodes and the NBU Master server runs as a virtual server in the cluster, and fails over between nodes to meet HA requirements. Media Servers and clients can only belong to one NBU domain.

If you want multiple domains then each one is installed/configured independently of each other. A remote domain is just another domain.

There are many pro's and con's for single domain v's multiple domains it really depends on the physical environment, how its managed, and the degree of data transfer between sites.

With NBU 7.1 A.I.R  provides the ability to replicate backup images between NBU domains

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/netbackup-71-features-auto-image-replication

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mick_Scott
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

A NetBackup domain is defined as all of the media servers and clients owned by "one" NetBackup Master Server. The Master server for a domain manages all NBU resources and schedules jobs across the NBU domain. The "one" NetBackup Master Server can run in a clustered environment where there are multiple physical nodes and the NBU Master server runs as a virtual server in the cluster, and fails over between nodes to meet HA requirements. Media Servers and clients can only belong to one NBU domain.

If you want multiple domains then each one is installed/configured independently of each other. A remote domain is just another domain.

There are many pro's and con's for single domain v's multiple domains it really depends on the physical environment, how its managed, and the degree of data transfer between sites.

With NBU 7.1 A.I.R  provides the ability to replicate backup images between NBU domains

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/netbackup-71-features-auto-image-replication

Michael_Fisher
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. That answers my question.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited

he explanation is concise