cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication & duplication

Mehul_Pal
Level 5

Hi All,

I know there are lot of articles for replication & duplication but I wanted to clearly understand what is replication & why it is important

Difference between duplication & replication 

if there is any specific article for the same let me knw?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Duplication is when you make copy of backup within the same environment - all under control of the same master server.
Duplication can be tape-to-tape, disk-to-tape, appliance-to-tape, appliance-to-appliance, etc.

Replication is same as duplication, but between media servers under control of different master servers.
We only replicate between same type of dedupe devices/appliances.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Please mark Riaan's post as Solution as he was 1st to say the same thing. There is no single document that only deals with these topics. You can search NBU Admin Guide I for words such as duplicate duplication replicate replication, etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Replication is between netbackup domains i.e iimages are copied between storage devices connected to media servers that are configured under two or more separate masters

Duplication is within the netbackup domain i.e images are copied between storage devices connected to media servers under a single master.

Mehul_Pal
Level 5

thank you for the reply 

would like to know if there any example or document for the same so that I can study throughly

Marianne
Level 6

Duplication is when you make copy of backup within the same environment - all under control of the same master server.
Duplication can be tape-to-tape, disk-to-tape, appliance-to-tape, appliance-to-appliance, etc.

Replication is same as duplication, but between media servers under control of different master servers.
We only replicate between same type of dedupe devices/appliances.

Marianne
Level 6
Please mark Riaan's post as Solution as he was 1st to say the same thing. There is no single document that only deals with these topics. You can search NBU Admin Guide I for words such as duplicate duplication replicate replication, etc.