cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore From Disk Staging

mpjubb
Level 3
We are using NBU 6.5.5 with the master and emm sever on server 2008 and the media server on server 2003.

I am using disk staging to backup all of the servers.  My question is, as the data on the disk doesnt expire for 6 days can i restore from the disk rather than having to use the tape?

We have come across a problem where we needed to restore some data but that particular disk was off site.  Besides, restoring from disk is much faster.

I thought that maybe i would have to import the images from the disk but i get an error saying there are no images to import when i start the 2nd stage of importing.

Thanks for any assistance.
1 REPLY 1

Bill_Johnson1
Level 4
Certified
If your backups write to disk first, then get copied to a final location, whether disk or tape, the primary copy will remain on the disk storage unit. The copy on the disk storage unit will remain the primary copy, the copy used for restores, until the high water mark is reached on the disk storage unit. The high water mark is used so the disk location does not get to 100% during backups.

When a backup runs to a disk storage unit and the disk storage unit hits the high water mark, images that have been duplicated off to the final destination will be expired until the low water mark is reached. This will open up space on the disk storage unit for backup jobs to continue. During the expiration of the images, the image copy on tape will be promoted to primary. This will tell NetBackup to look to this copy for restores.

To set or view the high and low water mark, please go to the disk storage unit properties. By default, they are set to 98% and 80% for the high and low marks respectively.

Bill