cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore asking for 121 media

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

Does anyone know if the upcoming releases of NBU will be better at telling you what media it really needs for restores?  I'm working on a restore now that originally listed 121 tapes that I would need.  After loading some of the tapes and kicking off the restore, it gave me another list of media that would be needed.  This list was 94 tapes long.  Dealing with this many tapes, 27 tapes may not seem like a big deal, but we have to pay to have those tapes brought back to us and again to have them returned to offsite storage.  I've asked about this before in other posts that were addressing separate issues, so I thought I would make a thread for this issue now while it has me hopping through hoops trying to figure out what tapes I can load and sifting through hundreds of pounds worth of media containers.

As if this wasn't too much to ask...if the list that is created when the restore is initiated actually showed the order of the tapes that would be needed, that would be a huge, huge help, especially when the restore calls for more media than the library is currently capable of holding.  Smiley Sad

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

What the heck are you backing up/restoreing that you would have to use 94 or 121 tapes?Robot surprised

if you use the gui you can click on the 'media requried' button or Actions preview media -  does doing this give you 94 tapes in the list?

Just an fyi of what I do.  If I am only restoring  1 file, the preview list may show all the tapes the image is on.

I go ahead and start the restore and wait for it to ASK for a tape.  So when I start the restore it may show that 2 or 3 tapes are needed, but then it only ask for 1 tape to be loaded.

example.

15:42:42 11/3/2008: Restore Started

15:42:50 (1061885.xxx) Restore job id 1061885 will require 1 image.
15:42:50 (1061885.xxx) Media id T00766 is needed for the restore.

this might list 2 or 3 tapes

15:43:26 (1061885.001) Restoring from image created Fri Oct 31 02:00:16 2008
15:43:31 (1061885.001) INF - If Media id T00766 is not in a robotic library administrative interaction may be required to satisfy this mount request.

this is the tape it really wants

when you do the restore how many tape does it actualy use?

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I'm restoring a month's worth of email.  Normally I would have refused, but apparently my director put a rule in place that deleted the messages for this account after 5 days.  The account wasn't checked for several weeks, so now I get to restore the email.

Normally I do start the restore and see what it asks for, but this time I didn't.  The list was so long and would have been a pain to copy down by hand.  In the Preview, you have the option to select them all, then copy and paste into a text editor.

The restore is still running, but by the looks, it's not going to need any where near 94 tapes.  It said it was restoring from '10 images', but there's no way to tell how many tapes those 'images' are going to be on.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

also you can get the list of tapes with:

bpimagelist -media -d <date> -e <date> -client <client> -U

regards