cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore files without extension adds .Z

MSDI
Level 4

Hi,

We are currently evaluating Netbackup 7.7.1 and I found a strange problem I would need to fix.

The NB server is on windows 2012R2 and I use it to backup a Centos Linux Server.

On the centos machine, I have files without extension. For example, the file's name is "foo"

When I restore the files on windows the file's name becomes "foo.Z"

Why is Netbackup doing this ??? Can I turn that off ?

If not, can I assume the extension will always be ".Z" ?

By the way, this happens only when I restore to a windows machine, if I restore to the initial location the file's name is not altered.

Thanks a lot in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MSDI
Level 4

Just in case someone finds this thread one day and wonders...

It has nothing to do with the file having no extension... It was just a misleading coincidence... Here is what I've fond in the logs...

15:25:40 (194.001) UTF - e:\xxx\xxx\10
15:25:40 (194.001) INF - file is compressed, adding .Z to name: e:\xxx\xxx\10
15:25:40 (194.001) INF - file is compressed, will have to be decompressed on UNIX: e:\xxx\xxx\10.Z
15:25:40 (194.001) WRN - unable to reset disk quota information: e:\xxx\xxx\10.Z (1 00000000)

So basically, since compression was checked in the policy when I created the linux backup

When I restored to Windows, Netbackup didn't uncompressed the file so added a ".Z" at the end to let me know.

Why can't he uncompress the file, this is a mystery, but at least, we've found explanation on why the ".Z" is getting added...

Thanks everyone for your help

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Well, restore between different OS is not supported. Have you tried to restore back to the same Linux client? Just specify a different folder name to restore to.

jim_dalton
Level 6

If you need a fix, restore to the original or similar lfavour (ie not windows!) host, say to /tmp then copy the files by whatever method you fancy, scp, winscp, nfs,...

Pretty unusual to have this as a requirement I have to say! jim.

MSDI
Level 4

Ok. Thanks for the workaround, I know it would work but...

Why is a programmer at Netbackup Deliberately decided to add ".Z" we wouldn't have that discussion today if it wasn't of this...​

People might wonder why we have this need so It case you wanna know:

We need a confirmation that the specific set of data has been written to WORM tape in 3 differents datacenter before actually deleting it from disk. So we have a job that restore content from the tape to the Netbackup Server disk and validate each files one my one by verifying the file's MD5. When all 3 tapes have been validated, we can destroy the data. Since we installed Netbackup on Windows, the files are restored on windows for validation. To Send the files back to the original server is a waste of bandwidth. Like I said, we wouldn't have this discussion today.

Beside of this unwanted file rename, it works well. So if there is no solution, we'll just look for files with ".Z" at the end and presume there should ne no extension, but it's really strange lol.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Remarkable! I have to say, it is rather a peculiar decision to rename the file with .Z...I mean why would you consider that...surely the only consideration is to restore the file as was (assume no rename selected), and who but Symantec knows what happens when going cross platform. Reading between the lines...what process does the restore? I could see potential for renaming to be done via this process, so ruling out netbackup. I might give it a go on my system to prove or otherwise. It seems illogical at best and a bad idea at worst to suffix as described, especially as .Z is a known suffix.jim

MSDI
Level 4

Just in case someone finds this thread one day and wonders...

It has nothing to do with the file having no extension... It was just a misleading coincidence... Here is what I've fond in the logs...

15:25:40 (194.001) UTF - e:\xxx\xxx\10
15:25:40 (194.001) INF - file is compressed, adding .Z to name: e:\xxx\xxx\10
15:25:40 (194.001) INF - file is compressed, will have to be decompressed on UNIX: e:\xxx\xxx\10.Z
15:25:40 (194.001) WRN - unable to reset disk quota information: e:\xxx\xxx\10.Z (1 00000000)

So basically, since compression was checked in the policy when I created the linux backup

When I restored to Windows, Netbackup didn't uncompressed the file so added a ".Z" at the end to let me know.

Why can't he uncompress the file, this is a mystery, but at least, we've found explanation on why the ".Z" is getting added...

Thanks everyone for your help