cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring NDMP (netapp) multi-stream backup issues

msoucy
Level 3
Hi,

I had configured 2 tape drives to back up 2 directories on the filer with NEW_STREAM in the policy and that appears to work just fine. The problem is on restoring the streams. I used the keyword from the backup in a for loop where I loop on the number of streams passed in on command line (in perl) to do the restores for each of the backup iterations in the outer loop. I get error code 5 on first attempt then the 2nd attempt appears to pass ok in the NBU GUI. Problem is a) why did the first one fail in the first place and b) what got restored on the 2nd on looks like both streams (I would have to watch it visually to verify this).

Now if I manually restore it with the same command line it is getting the latest backup, not the one I wanted. How can I narrow this down, i.e. I do 8 iterations of a 2 stream backup and want to restore those backups in a 2nd for loop (# of iterations) and getting both streams using the keyword? I don't want to have to redo the whole test code to go by timestamp as that is ridiculous. It should work ok with the keyword on a restore for multiple streams. I am running NBU 6.0 with NDMP agent and MP5 installed on Linux. Any insight/assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Message Edited by msoucy on 05-16-2008 03:28 PM
1 REPLY 1

msoucy
Level 3
Well after some discussion it appears that this won't be possible using keywords. I'd have to keep track of the time of the backups and try to do restores that way. For the time being I'll do them manually (backup/restore) until I have time to look into this some more.