Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring an Exchange DB

TandyBrands
Level 4

Hey Folks,

Netbackup 6.5.4

I backup my Exchange (2007) server (daily incr, weekly fulls).  I do a once a month full for the purposes of off-site.

I want to restore one of the databases, but NOT to the existing server.  I have the tape in the library.  I selected the "Select to Restore" option, clicked on the "Show all Backups" button.  Clicked on the date in question (2/25/2012) drilled down to the particular database and check-marked it.  Now, how do I select where I wish this file to be restored to?  I do not want to obviously over-write my existing database.  I click on the "Start Restore of Marked Files" button, and I have a few options.

Restore everythign to it' original position (No, not what I want)

Restore everything to a different location. If I select this, it only gives me the option of "Microsoft INformation Store: \Third Storage Group\" The Browse button us greyed out.

Restore Individual folders and files to diff location (double click to modify).  I do this, double-clciked the file.  Comes up withthe same above path however, I can "Browse" here, so I browse to a networked drive.  Click OK, and moved on.

On the Exchange tab, there are several choices. "Roll Forward recovery or Point in Time Recovery.  I select Point-in-Time.  I leave the TEMP location alone (don't point it to the network folder).  I do NOT check Dismount DB, not sure what to do with "Commit after last backup restored or Mount DB after restore).  I started the restore with all the above options.

Looking at the log files of hte progress, I see a warning, "10:53:41 (11425.001) WRN - can't create file: Z:\Temp\Exchange-Restore (WIN32 3: The system cannot find the path specified. )"  I am thinking this is because it is trying to restore to another exchange server, not a file server, but not sure.

OK, so do I A) need to restore only to a local path? B) need to change up the Roll-forward recvovery to POint in Time?  C) change teh TEMP path? D) UN-check all of the commit etc choices?

I'm really just wanting to pull the DB off of the tape. So I may be going about this all wrong.

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Use Exchange Recovery Storage group as restore destination.

You cannot specify a different path as no Exchange database exists on that path.
With Exchange agent, you are backing up data only, not file structures. You need Exchange to provide the structure. Recovery Storage Group is ideal for that.
Think of agent backup as backing up the water in a bucket, not the bucket itself. You need Exchange to provide the 'bucket' so that the restore can put the 'water' into it.

See this TN for Exch 2007 RSG restore: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57346

Video for 7.0 (should be same for 6.5): http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41837

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Use Exchange Recovery Storage group as restore destination.

You cannot specify a different path as no Exchange database exists on that path.
With Exchange agent, you are backing up data only, not file structures. You need Exchange to provide the structure. Recovery Storage Group is ideal for that.
Think of agent backup as backing up the water in a bucket, not the bucket itself. You need Exchange to provide the 'bucket' so that the restore can put the 'water' into it.

See this TN for Exch 2007 RSG restore: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57346

Video for 7.0 (should be same for 6.5): http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO41837

TandyBrands
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

I am resolving it with On-Track Power Controls Extract wizard.  I just got to get teh software installed and going.

Thanks,

James

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Think Marianne deserves the solution marking on this one - her answer is perfectly correct and there was no way we were going to say use On-Track!smiley