cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPXrestore issue

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

Hello,

I encountered an issue while restoring a media multiplexed backup. When I launch the restore of a single small file of 1KB for example, I see the current kilobytes written in the detailed status in the activity monitor rising to more than hundreds of gigabytes. However nothing is actually written on the destination client. Anyone having a clue if this is normal because of the multiplexed data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Generally in restore job... the no showing in the Kilobytes written is not actuallly Kilobytes written.. its a actaully the amount of Data it has been reading from the source..(Tape)

as that Tape is MPX tape.. the tape header needs to read all the images..(data) comming in between while ittrying to read the actual required data...this is becase tapes drives can only read linear.. they can not go random.. its normal..

this is the one of the reason.. MPX restore is slower then the normal tape restores..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This is not to do with multiplexing  - it is to do with the fragment size of your backup images - so the size set on the fragment size of you tape storage unit

The tape has positioned to the tape marker and is then skimming through to find the file

It reports what it has read so far whilst locating the file

I am told the latest drives don't need to do this and have a fast block locator

Hope this helps

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Generally in restore job... the no showing in the Kilobytes written is not actuallly Kilobytes written.. its a actaully the amount of Data it has been reading from the source..(Tape)

as that Tape is MPX tape.. the tape header needs to read all the images..(data) comming in between while ittrying to read the actual required data...this is becase tapes drives can only read linear.. they can not go random.. its normal..

this is the one of the reason.. MPX restore is slower then the normal tape restores..

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

I missinterpreted the kilobytes written in the activity monitor, I thought it meant the number of kilobytes written on the destination client. Then I guess I just have to let the job run and the restore will be successful.

Thank you Mark / Nagalla.