cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Access

Roobix_Cube
Level 5
Hi all,

I'm in a highly secure AIX environment, whereby users do not have permissions to run Netbackup commands.  Is there a way to allow backup admins to run Netbackup commands whilst still preventing them from running AIX OS commands?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Roobix_Cube
Level 5

Sorry, let me be more clear....does anyone know if there’s an easy way to configure Netbackup access for non-root/administrator users, outside of implementing Veritas Security Services?  Basically, we want to give a user access to the master server to run only Netbackup related commands (console access is not required)...

zippy
Level 6
yup

root@-/usr/openv/java # ls -al auth.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys            172 Jan 30 09:15 auth.conf

vi this file

add your local unix users to it

root ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
* ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER+BU+ARC
jimd ADMIN=AM+BPM+MM+REP+JBP+DM
backup_admin ADMIN=ALL

search auth.conf in the forums for more examples.

stop and start netbackup

the users have to be local unix user only.

your done

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It sounds like you want to install the sudo package.  (I'm assuming there's a sudo for AIX, but will be quickly shouted down if I'm wrong.)

zippy
Level 6
I'm in a highly secure AIX environment, whereby users do not have permissions to run Netbackup commands.  Is there a way to allow backup admins to run Netbackup commands whilst still preventing them from running AIX OS commands?

CRZ,

SUDO is free product that is used on a UNIX system to allow non root users to run root commands. 

There is a sudo for AIX

I would think that if the system is so highly secure, then why would he allow anything but users on the system, then only allowing them access to the GUI.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
auth.conf will not give you much security, because they will have access to add/change/remove policies or devices from your configuration, for this u will need to create a sudo list or use a third party security application has Keon.

regards

zippy
Level 6
Omar

he asked

is there a way to allow backup admins to run Netbackup commands.

I would asume that Backup Admins need "access to add/change/remove policies or devices from your configuration"

auth.conf can be configured to give the Backup Admin all access or limited access or a anything in between.

AM BPM MM REP JBP DM

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
There are many different kinds of Backup Admins, you can have several levels of admins has Level 1, who only monitor jobs and devices, level 2 who can fix some client side issues without affecting the backup architecture and level 3 who can fix/modify/add/delete the NBU architecture, everything depends of what are the skills of your backup team players, if you want all of them to have the same access, probably is a mistake because has everywhere some people have more expirience than others, so if he is trying to create some kind of access policies, the recomendation will be to do the best practice from the biggining for any future grow, in small environments there is no need of this but if you have a big site you need it.

hope this helps Roobix.

Regards