Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERVER GROUP

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/server-groups-0

Hi Folks,

I am creating server group for this media sharing.When I am creating the group,I am getting 3 option in server gp type.

1.Media sharing

2.NOM

3.Alternate restore

What is this NOM and alternate restore for? still for future use??

I previously asked this question.I know Media sharing is for WRITING  purpose.

What this NOM and Aletrnate restore group is for.?

I have read one of the MARK post(link below) stating to create a Alternate Restore Group.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-restore-process-lansan

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have the feeling that NOM is still for future use but probably wont ever get used and will get depreciated at some point as NOM is now called OpsCenter - but even so I cannot imagine what it would have been used for!

I have looked through all of the 7.6 Docs and it doesn't even get a mention now (apart from appreaing in the commands guide!)

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

THanks Mark.

But Aletrnate restore group under server  is for what purpose?

I am creating server group for this media sharing.When I am creating the group,I am getting 3 option in server gp type.

1.Media sharing

2.NOM

3.Alternate restore

WHat this Alternate restore is for?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Sorry - i thought you had got that one ...

Alternate restore group is a little like media sharing but effectively allows servers to share the backup images so that any server in the group can be called on to perform the restore rather than the server that actually did the backup.

I have never used that option so cannot categorically say that it is fully implemented yet - i guess the only way to know is to add servers to it - run a backup - deactivate the original media server and then see if it selects another from the group when you kick off a restore from that backup - but that is the principle of the group.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I previously asked this question.

And you even posted the link to your post of a couple of months ago.... 

What made you think that the answer would change?

Especially when you are still on the SAME NBU version?

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

thanks Mark.

1.From which version I can use this alternate restore group feature?

2. we need to have original server (dowm/deactivate server)  in the group also along with other media servers ?

3. in what order  NBU will pick the media servers added in the alternate server group?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Ignore Marianne at your peril!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You seemed to have missed or ignored the 2nd paragraph of Mark's post:

I have never used that option so cannot categorically say that it is fully implemented yet - i guess the only way to know is to add servers to it - run a backup - deactivate the original media server and then see if it selects another from the group when you kick off a restore from that backup - but that is the principle of the group.

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

thanks All.

@Mark:With your last comments on this.I will close this thread.