Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO Requirement.

abhishek
Level 4
Partner

Dear All,

I have two vmware esx servers, I want to Backup this using Netbackup 7.

I will have SAN based backup and my library would be connected to SAN only.

Do I need to have SSO license for this setup.

I will not backup any other OS / Application other than vmware virtual machines.

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
SSO license is needed when multiple media servers share same drives. I understand you are to configure VM backup with SAN transfer method that VMware backup host read vmdks on SAN shared disks. SAN transfer type VM backup doesn't require SSO.

regispar
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello Friend,

You only need SSO license if you have a Media Server that use a Robotic device that is connected on SAN and 1 or 2 situations more. 

For Vmware backups you just send this backup using SAN... not share devices on SAN. 

Cheers

Régis

Anonymous
Not applicable

From my understanding the least you would require is a Windows Server 2003/2008 Master Server with the SAN attached disks of the datastore where your virtual machine storage is and your library presented to this Physical server. This can act as your 'Backup Proxy' server.

You then add either your virtual center server or if you do not have a VC then add the esx hosts into the NetBackup Virtual Machine Credentials section.

No SSO license required from the information you have provided.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

You suggest to 'connect' Master server as the proxy server, wouldn't it be better to have the media server itself? 
I'm not a Jedi and wonder what about data path from SAN storage to Media server when you have a media server on a separate machine?

Regards
Bernard

Douglas_Snyder
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

You will need SSO if you have multiple media servers writing to the same tape library.  Because NetBackup is so fast with VMware backups you will probably only need one media server (or master / media server) and therefore will not need the SSO license.