cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting Tape Requests

Guy_Draper
Level 2
Hi All,

I have been thrown in at the deep end on veritas so learning as quickly as possible. I have searched the forums for answers to these questions but couldn't seem to find what I needed, so apologies if it has already been answered.

The tape vaults are located in secure rooms with no operators local, so it is beneficial to try and get them to do as few trips as possible.

So I have inherited a daily report which has to be generated manually before the operators toddle off to remove/replace tapes.

The problem is this report in the way it has been shown to me ie via the gui,is very time consuming. Manually typing tape numbers into an email to send to ops.

So I was hoping I could script all the items I require and generate into a file for emailing.

This is what we currently produce

Number of tapes coming out of the unit - we need this so the ops have some idea how long they might need to spend over there.

The tape numbers of the tapes that need to go back in, I have managed to produce this report using the available_media script.

The tape number of the tape required for the internal netbackup which has to be put in.

We get quite a few restore requests. The procedure is to find the restore, note the tapes down and ask the ops to put those tapes in as well, saves them going back and forwards.

So any ideas on how to automate would be appreciated.

thanks

Guy
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
The reports in electronic format should be placed into a folder/directory somewhere

DavidParker
Level 6
Guy,
Do you have the Vault option for Veritas?
It's quite expensive but will generate every report you are looking for automatically.
Granted, you can probably do almost the same things without it, but that'll take some work.

In terms of generating your report, try the bpmedialist command. That might be a good place to start.

zippy
Level 6
Guy,

I have all the scipts you need to accomplish what vault does. If you need them email me.

JD

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Your email address is not listed under your profile. I would really appreciate a copy
dennis D0t strom @t siemens d0t cOm

Guy_Draper
Level 2
thanks Bob I will have a hunt round.

David, yes we do have the vault option, any ideas on where to start with it?

Thanks James I would like a copy if you could send to gdraper9@emea.att.com

thanks all

Guy

DavidParker
Level 6
Guy,
Take a look in the Admin Console, under Vault Management.
Look for the Vault Profile that is being run and open that up for inspection.
On the last tab of the Profile you'll find all the reporting options.
You can setup a bunch of stuff there.

Might as well put that expensive license to use, eh?

=)

zippy
Level 6
That is a crazy email address!

Raghunath_k
Level 4
hi all

pls i am also looking for these scripts, if u have mail me to raghunath_k_2000@yahoodotcom.

pls.....

raghu