cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapshot encounter error 156

QA1
Level 2

Hi All,

I 'm now face the problem on the NBU 7.1 client. I would like to someone can help to fix it.

1. I used for the NBU 7.1 on the Win2K3 server,  The backup job failed with error code 156 snapshot encounter with refer client G driver. I checked on the G driver, the shadow copy is disabled. The client is used for disk staging. What should I do ?

2. I updated the NB client from 7.0 to 7.1 on linux boxes, but I download the source and extract it, but it failed. What can I find another source of 7.1

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Refer the following TN:

STATUS CODE: 156 "snapshot error encountered" occurs when utilizing VSP or VSS for open file backups:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38709

2) From where you downloaded the client package?

You can download from fileconnect.symantec.com if you have a valid serial number.

Regards...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before you select files in FileConnect to be downloaded, carefully read the note at the top of the page:

NetBackup Server / Enterprise Server 7.1, OpsCenter 7.1, and RealTime 7.1 note:
use Gnu-tar to extract NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz, NetBackup_7.1_LU.tar.gz, OpsCenter_7.1_Unix.tar.gz, OpsCenter_7.1_X64.tar.gz

See:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

For file *.1ofN format, these are split, see the appropriate Product version file for instructions:
NetBackup_7.1-Split_1ofN.txt
OpsCenter_7.1-Split_1ofN.txt
NetBackup_RealTime_7.1-Split_1ofN.txt

So - PLEASE download the little text file containing instructions: NetBackup_7.1-Split_1ofN.txt
It contains instructions on how to join and extract the Client package.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

I used for the NBU 7.1 on the Win2K3 server,  The backup job failed with error code 156 snapshot encounter with refer client G driver. I checked on the G driver, the shadow copy is disabled. The client is used for disk staging. What should I do ?

I assume this is just a normal ms-win-nt policy. If you get a 156 take a look at the event viewer on the client to see if you have any VSS issues. Next you might want to setup bpfis logging to find out why the snapshot creation failed on the client.