cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staging to Multiplexing

Bishop
Level 2
Question about disk staging with NetBackup 6.0 MP4

Currently I have Exchange Mailbox level backups going to a disk storage unit that is configured to be a staging volume. The staging policy, however does not appear to be configurable, and when it duplicates to tape, it processes the mailbox images one at a time, and it uses as many tape drives as I have available. My question is, is it possible to set the staging (duplication) job to multiplex multiple images to a single tape, or force it to use only a single tape drive?

7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6
I don't know if this still applies but you may want to try MAX_STAGING_JOBS
Please read this technote:

DOCUMENTATION: Description of VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.1 Disk Staging Relocation behavior, starting with 5.1 Maintenance Pack 4

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
MAX_STAGING_JOBS should work without problems.. but multiplexing is not supported when you migrate data from DSSU to tapes.. you should to remember that performance of this operation depends on performance of your disk array..

Bishop
Level 2
Thanks for the replies guys,
This document does indeed shed some light on the Staging Process.
I think my issue is that I have 4 DSSU's currently configured with a 1 hour auto staging parameter.
Looking at the way things are set up, I think I can set them up to duplicate rather than stage as the images are expiring off of the disk before it reaches the high water mark anyway. With that configuration I should be able to have more control over how the duplication happens.

Thanks again for the replies!

Message Edited by Bishop on 08-01-200710:22 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
your welcome.
Enjoy!

Mark_Wilton
Level 3
Hi guys

I got around the stageing using all tapes by setting up another storge unit that only had a limited number of drives allocated.. seems to work ok, but not sure if its a better solution than the MAXSTAGEING parameter you suggested.. also where do you set that parmeter if i wanted to change to that method?? thanks

also what are the benefits/trade off of multiplexing to a disk stageig unit, especially if the images  get de multiplexed when finally getting written to tape ???. I tend to prefer less complexity rather than speed.. though the business may disagree ;)

regards

Mark W

Stumpr2
Level 6
MAX_STAGING_JOBS
Please read this technote:

DOCUMENTATION: Description of VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.1 Disk Staging Relocation behavior, starting with 5.1 Maintenance Pack 4

Mark_Wilton
Level 3
Cheers thanks

regards

Mark W