cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware Netbackup Integration Module on master?

Flyinraptr
Level 5
Want to test out VCB functionality .... just running a single NB 5.1 MP6 Master ..... from what I'm reading a master can also be a proxy server .... but installing the Integration Module seems to be a problem - was curious if anyone  has been successful with this configuration?

7 REPLIES 7

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Yes I have done this with Netbackup 5.1 and 6.0 using VCB 1.0.2
Was a bit kludgy but was able to make it work.

Also my Netbackup servers were WIndows 2003...not sure if that matters.

Flyinraptr
Level 5
I been running into a problem with bpstart_notify.bat .... did you have to modify the script?

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
No not at all...when you install the VCB integration module on your server it also installs a custom bpstart_notify that it uses during backups.
The only area that I notice causing people lots of issues is the config.js file.
If you edit the file with a program other than WordPad it gets all messed up and causes backups to not run at all.

Flyinraptr
Level 5
Interesting - what I'm experiencing is with that custom bpstart_notify in place - other non-vcb jobs failing.  I've subsequently renamed adding the the policy name ... still working through it.

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Yes I configured my system similarly. Basically the bpstart_notify needed to have the policy name to avoid it running when non-VCB policies ran.
One thing that happens occasionally is I'll get EXIT STATUS = 73: bpstart_notify failed
Turns out that when my ESX server has trouble with the snapshot process (timeouts..etc) Netbackup only gives the status 73.  If I clear the hung snapshots via Virtual Center my backups run without issue.  I still haven't found the root cause for the occasional snapshot not finishing properly.

Flyinraptr
Level 5
I'm still trying to get through the 71-none of the files exist .... errors.  I can successfully run vcbmounter from a command line on the master media server but haven't been successful from within Netbackup.

Flyinraptr
Level 5
Joseph -

Just wanted to confirm that you are launching the bpstart_notify.bat from the master server and not a client.  I can run it manually from a command line and it works fine but I can not get it to launch when I start the backup job from within the admin console.  I've tried renaming and adding the name of the policy - to no avail.  I have copied it to the .....\Veritas\Netbackup\bin directory - is this where you have it?

Thanks -