cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 213 for sql backup

Stanleyj
Level 6
I am running version 7.0.1 and recieved 6 status of 213 for some sql jobs. These errors were only for 6 databases on 3 different servers. All of the other databases backed up correctly on those same servers. I have checked documentation and the answers i am finding either apply to much earlier versions or to an entire backup job failing not just a couple of stream within a policy. these databases backup fine the night before. Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141554
Backups were failing with status 213 almost immediately

I also found the following in the 7.1 Release Notes under Operational Notes -> NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Option:

■ Deduplication backup jobs may fail with status code 213 or status code 2074.
Deduplication backup jobs may fail with status code 213 or 2074 even though
a suitable storage unit exists. The deduplication servers usually must be under
heavy load for that to occur.
To work around this issue, add the following touch file to the deduplication
storage server and to any load balancing servers:
UNIX: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/DPS_PROXYDEFAULTRECVTMO
Windows:
install_path\Veritas\NetBackup\db\config\DPS_PROXYDEFAULTRECVTMO

The file content must be the integer 800. No other file content is required.

Not sure if this applies to 5200 backups as well - you might have to open a Support call...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

bperror -S 213
no storage units available for use
The NetBackup resource broker (nbrb) did not find any storage units available for use. Either all storage units are unavailable or all storage units are configured for On demand only. In addition, the policy and schedule does not require a specific storage unit.

Where are your policies backing up to? Disk? Tape?

Status of devices?

You will need to 'dig' into nbrb logs (using vxlogview) to see what happend at the time.

Stanleyj
Level 6
All of my policies backup to disk first then they are duplicated to tape. We are using the 5200 appliance as our disk storage and the tape library is directly attached to it. from best i can tell the appliance was up the entire time. I will try to see if i can dig into those logs to see what happened. Thank you.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. Storage unit(s) incorrectly configured.
  2. Policy has storage unit set to “any available” and drives are down.
  3. The bpcd process is not listening.
  4. There is a hostname or IP resolution issue and the master server cannot communicate with the media server, or vice-versa.
  5. Within an SSO environment, drives are over-committed.

See the below TN for more detail

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH39330&key=15142&actp=LIST

Marianne
Level 6

Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141554
Backups were failing with status 213 almost immediately

I also found the following in the 7.1 Release Notes under Operational Notes -> NetBackup Media Server Deduplication Option:

■ Deduplication backup jobs may fail with status code 213 or status code 2074.
Deduplication backup jobs may fail with status code 213 or 2074 even though
a suitable storage unit exists. The deduplication servers usually must be under
heavy load for that to occur.
To work around this issue, add the following touch file to the deduplication
storage server and to any load balancing servers:
UNIX: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/DPS_PROXYDEFAULTRECVTMO
Windows:
install_path\Veritas\NetBackup\db\config\DPS_PROXYDEFAULTRECVTMO

The file content must be the integer 800. No other file content is required.

Not sure if this applies to 5200 backups as well - you might have to open a Support call...

Stanleyj
Level 6

Thanks Kathy and Zahid.  I am willing to try anything at this point because this is driving me crazy.  I really believe that this is an over commited issue wht the sql jobs.  I deactivated the sql backups for 3 days and did not recieve one single 213 or 2074.  I enabled them and the very next morning my backups were riddled with the errors.    Before i start trying to create files I have an idea  I think i will try this first.

I have two sql policies.  Model servers and Productions servers.  Each policy has 5 server in it and several of the server have 50 - 100 databases on them.  I am going to break the servers into their own policies and have them start at different times. About every two hours. 

If this doesn't work then I will try creating the files you noted above.  Thank you for your responses

Stanleyj
Level 6

Thanks Marianne!  I followed the unix path you provided and create the touch file on the appliance.  That corrected all of my over commitment issues. I am seeing 100% successful backups now.