cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Code 84 Backing up to Data Domain disk device.

wellssh
Level 4

We are using Data Domain DD890 disk devices for our Backup-to-disk jobs.  It seems that certain jobs, usually virtual servers, regularly fail with a Status Code 84.  The strange thing is that we backup approximately 60 virtual servers, but only 5 or 6 regularily experience this issue, and even then it's not every time.

We are running NBU 7.0.1, on W2K3 x64 Enterprise SP2.

Since the Data Domain devices are not using tape, how could they experience Status Code 84 issues which are usually indicative of bad tapes?

Thanks,

Sven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rookie11
   VIP   

Critical bptm(pid=6612) sts_get_image_prop failed: error 2060046: plugin error    

we used to get same error in my environment.we  logged a call with ur DD vendor get updated OS patch. It was be resolved. we havnt received error code 84 since past 2 months. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A DD890 can do 180 concurrent jobs - Have you secured you are below that limit ?

What DD OS are you running ?

How do you write the vmware images to the DD - via BOOST/VTL or CIFS  ?

What does the job details say in the activity monitor - Do you get a plug-in error ?

wellssh
Level 4

Hi Nicolai,

We are running v5.1.0.5 of the DD OS.

This error occurs even when I'm just running 3 or 4 jobs, ie. rerunning the 3 or 4 failed jobs. 

The job details did state something about a plug-in error, among a couple of other things.  I'll rerun and when/if I get the same error, I'll post the exact verbiage.

Thanks,

Sven

wellssh
Level 4

Here are the job details for another job that just failed:

5/2/2012 11:20:33 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:01
5/2/2012 11:20:35 AM - begin writing
5/2/2012 2:53:37 PM - Critical bptm(pid=6612) image write failed: error 2060046: plugin error     
5/2/2012 2:53:37 PM - Critical bptm(pid=6612) sts_get_image_prop failed: error 2060046: plugin error      
5/2/2012 2:53:43 PM - Error bptm(pid=6612) cannot write image to disk, Invalid argument     
5/2/2012 2:53:44 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=10228) from client cssfile01: FTL - tar file write error (0)  
5/2/2012 2:53:45 PM - end writing; write time: 03:33:10
5/2/2012 2:53:47 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=10228) could not send server status message      
media write error(84)

Regards,

Sven

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What version of boost do you use. If you disable distributed segment processing - do you still see the error ?.

wellssh
Level 4

2.3.3.7, I think.

Not sure how to go about disabling distributed segment processing.

Regards,

Sven

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Latest plugin is version 2.4.1.0

Using the DD web gui go to Data Management -> Boost - Click "Disable Distributed Hash Processing

Have you opened a support ticket at Data Domain ?. I am sure they are a lot faster in resolving the issue than I am :)

wellssh
Level 4

......but have to do more research since it's not affecting all backups/systems, only a handfull, which are all virtual.

Thanks,

Sven

rookie11
   VIP   

Critical bptm(pid=6612) sts_get_image_prop failed: error 2060046: plugin error    

we used to get same error in my environment.we  logged a call with ur DD vendor get updated OS patch. It was be resolved. we havnt received error code 84 since past 2 months. 

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i was have the same issue and i solved after amny testing, go to host properities on your media server and under media select tar from allow media overwrite.

you must stop multiplixing, and create NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS.

are your media tapes has frozen, check that?

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

5/2/2012 2:53:44 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=10228) from client cssfile01: FTL - tar file write error (0) 

go to your media server and on properities -> media and select tar option.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your suggestion is valid for tape only.

This discussion is regarding OST disk using Data Domain.

wellssh
Level 4

....we were advised by DataDomain technical support to upgrade the OS version to the latest, and since then (5 days) we've experienced no Status Code 84 errors.

Thanks to everyone who provided guidance and suggestions.

Sven