cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status code 160 - authentication failed

smpSmith
Level 3

I'm having trouble determining why one of the catalog backup jobs fails with code 160.

The path to save the DR file is specified as \\server\share\path and the login as domain\userID and pw. I can browse the path and the userID specified can write to that folder.

The catalog backup job does actually write the DR file to this share yet returns a 160. Changing the path to point to a local folder on the master server results in a successful backup, impliying writing to an extenal folder is causing the issue.

Where do I go from here, any suggestions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That really shouldnt have made any difference - it should just write to a UNC path and hence the authentication issue

If changing the path made it work then it is down to the servers setup and not the fact that one had NBU installed and one did not

If Windows 2008 then it is generally caused by a firewall rule or UAC or similar preventing some sort of communications or rights issue

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

What is the file name in DR file destination? NetBackupCatDRTest.tmp or <PolicyName>_<Timestamp>_<Type>?
While catalog backup, NetBackup once write DR file as NetBackupCatDRTest.tmp, and rename it to <PolicyName>_<Timestamp>_<Type>.

I suppose that the user you specified does not have full control right to this share. Check permissions again.
Also check if there are some defects or bugs that prevent CIFS client from renaming files immediately after creating them.

smpSmith
Level 3

DR file name is <policy name>_<time stamp>_<type> and userID has full rights to the share.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you also got an e-mail notification setup?

Could it be that causing the authentication error?

This has also been seen where the user account provided was not fully qualified - so company\johndoe rather than company.com\johndoe - so that may also be worth a try

smpSmith
Level 3

Yes I am pre-fixing the login name with the domain.

Email notification works ok and was set up after the autentication error started.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
are there any clue in bpdbm debug log? Please post bpdbm log with verbose level 5.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

What type of storage is it that you are writing to - sounds like it creates the file and names it correctly but does not get a response back correctly - so wondering what type of storage it is.

As mentioned the bpdbm log file will help pin it down further

smpSmith
Level 3
Issue resolved. The DR file was being written to a 2008 server but there was no NBU agent installed (currently backed up by Backup Exec). Changing the location to a server backed up by NBU resolved the issue, I can now continiue with the transition to NBU.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

That really shouldnt have made any difference - it should just write to a UNC path and hence the authentication issue

If changing the path made it work then it is down to the servers setup and not the fact that one had NBU installed and one did not

If Windows 2008 then it is generally caused by a firewall rule or UAC or similar preventing some sort of communications or rights issue