cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape restore problem...

I_like_3_14
Level 3

I'm in the process of decommissioning an old NetBackup server.  Several media servers have been decommissioned already.  The master server is Server 2008, NetBackup 7.0.1, and currently has only a stand-alone LTO5 tape connected.  Previously, there were multiple tape libraries connected. 

I'm having a problem with a restore from tape.  I've changed the ownership of the tape to the master server (previously it was owned by one of the other media servers), and the stand-alone drive seems to be reading the tape number correctly.  The problem is that when I kick off the restore, I get this error:

6/11/2013 11:37:32 AM - Error bptm(pid=7348) NBJM returned an extended error status: No drives are available (2001) 
6/11/2013 11:37:32 AM - requesting resource NW0983
6/11/2013 11:37:32 AM - Error nbjm(pid=4284) NBU status: 830, EMM status: No drives are available   
6/11/2013 11:37:32 AM - Error nbjm(pid=4284) NBU status: 830, EMM status: No drives are available  

NetBackup sees the stand-alone drive, and is able to read the header on the tape.  NW0983 (tape number in question) is in the drive and showing up in the console when I check drive details.  There seems to be a disconnect somewhere. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Ensure the tape 'type' is the same as the tape drive, i.e. HART, HCART 2 etc.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is the density of NW0983? 
Please show us output of:
vmquery -m 
NW0983

What is density of tape drive on the master server?
tpconfig -l

(both commands in <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin)

If tape drive density is different to media density, you will need to change tape drive density to match media density.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

it seems device configuration is pending....

Also check master server able to see connected drive.

pls run device configuration wizard from master server & start restore again....

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Ensure the tape 'type' is the same as the tape drive, i.e. HART, HCART 2 etc.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is the density of NW0983? 
vmquery -m 
NW0983

What is density of tape drive on the master server?
tpconfig -l

(both commands in <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin)

If tape drive density is different to media density, you will need to change tape drive density to match media density.

I_like_3_14
Level 3

The tape I'm trying to restore from is LTO3 (hcart 3).  The stand-alone tape drive is LTO5 (hcart2).  My understanding is that LTO5 drive can read LTO3 tapes, but can't write to them. 

I_like_3_14
Level 3

That was it, a density mismatch.  I knew I was missing something relatively simple.  ;)

Thanks for the help. 

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Here is a hand tech note to have : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/20-steps-analyze-correct-and-troublshoot-device-issues

Dont forget to mark the solution which helped you. yes

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yep, as mentioned if tape is hcart and drive is hcart2 for example, it will think there is no drives as the tape being type/density hcart requires hcart drive. Nice that it's resolved :)