cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape tracking software

AxelR
Level 2
In my catalog i have > 5000 tapes. These tapes are spread over several robots, cases, locations, customers.
Does anyone have an advice of a tape tracking system / program.

thanks in advance,

Axel
5 REPLIES 5

Colin_North
Level 6
The Netbackup Vault option caters for this. It's built in to NBU, all you need is a license key.

Colin.

AxelR
Level 2
Colin,

I'm using NBU vault, but this doesn't keep track in which case the tape is put, or to which customer the tape is sent, who handled this the tape, etc.

Colin_North
Level 6
I'm using Vault under NBU 5.0, and you can assign tapes to a container / case. From the vltopmenu main menu, choose (C) container management (M) move media into one or more containers.

I agree there's no option to specify who handled the tape - here we have a daily checklist that we developed that does that for us. I don't think Vaulting has changed that much in NBU 6.0.

Colin.

AxelR
Level 2
I want to get rid off checklists/Excel-sheets for media tracking.
I want to document (at least) the following info
* media
* Type of media
* customer
* Reason media was shipped
* Date media was shipped
* history of above

Optional:
* Date media is used for backup
* Date media's retention expires

csnowdon
Not applicable
If I can intergect for a moment-
The things you intend to do are already available in netbackup, with the exception of "who" sent the tapes off.

I would start first though by asking what the value in knowing each piece of informaiton you listed carries.
Once you determine the nessesity to know each item, you can move forward. Your tape shipment receipts should hold the who and why information.  You may want to review your SOX requirements, as a paper trail needs to exists for your tape movement. These need to be Paper Documents with signatures-

Here is a couple  ingenious idea

1- ship your tapes in containers that do not require a plastic case. These lessons the burden of matching tapes to cases both at your facility and your tape vendors.

2- Use barcode labels that reflect the type of media
L3XXXXX for LTO 3
L1XXXXX for LTO1
D4XXXXX for DLT4
M4XXXXX for 4mm
you get the point.

3-Create additional Volume Groups  and name each one accordingly for each location you ship your tapes.  For instance, lets assume you ship volume L300001 to VendorA M400001 to VendorB and D400001 to VendorC
Create Volume Groups called
VendorA
VendorB
VendorC
when you move these volumes from your location to another, simply move the volume into the correct Volume Group.

Using the Reports Funcation of Netbackup, you can quikly determine where the tape is, when it was sent, the experation of the images, if the tape is now scratch etc.