cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeting non database files in Notes Data folder

Pete_M
Level 2

Hello all,

Using : Netbackup 7.5.5 with windows 2008 R2 server (Master / Media)

our Notes team has a requirement for me to now backup all *.dir and *.nrf files in the Notes\Data folder on each of our Notes servers.  From what I gather the Notes agent will only target *.nsf & *.ntf.  I am unable to backup the *.dir/ *.nrf files.  Here is what I tried :-

1.  I created a test policy (Daily, Full Backup) with just one of the Notes servers in the policy.  The policy was of type 'Windows'.  The backup selection points to where the Data folder is so in backup selection :-

NEW_STREAM

D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\Data

2. From an article I was reading, wildcards are limited to just * within the 'Backup Selection', so I went to the Host Properties of the Notes Server and added an exception :-

XX_NOTES_TEST

<<All Schedules>>

D:\*

with an exception to the the exclude list of :-

XX_NOTES_TEST

<<All Schedules>>

D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*.dir

D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*.nrf

When I run the backup, the 'windows' backup responds with a Status of 'media manager received no data for backup image(90)', this points to no files changing, but it's a full backup, not incremental.

If I change to a Lotus Notes policy, it attempts to backup all supported Notes files (i.e. *.nsf / *.ntf)

Is there something obvious I am missing, or should I just create a robocopy job and copy these file types to a non notes folder?

any ideas are most welcome :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Been trying to get my head around why this does not work.

Without any exclude/include lists, just having a backup selection of, e.g. D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*.dir, should backup anything with a suffix of '.dir' if there are any such files within D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data.

Note : both file types are in the data folder as well as many subfolders.

This confuses matters only a little, but is eminently doable and follows your initial plan somewhat.

Make your exclude/include lists policy specific such that you are not excluding any files from any other backups that do not need exclusions. Then set up as follows:

Backup selection for policy: D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*   [this should be at a level under which all files you need to backup are found]

Policy specific exclude list: D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*    [i.e. excluding whole of backup selection]

Policy specific include list: Should be solely *.dir and *.nrf

Just tested this here with C:\Documents and Settings\awelburn\My Documents\* as both backup selection and exclude list for my PC and an include list of *.doc - results were every .doc file at whatever level under 'My Documents'

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Below is your configuartion as per my understanding..

Policy name :-XX_NOTES_TEST

Backup selection

D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\Data

Exclude list:-

Include list:-

------------

when you have the specific backup selection as D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\Data you does not needs to keep the exclude list D:\*

so remove the Exclude list  form the policy.

and add the backup selection as

try the backup again..

do remember Netbackup is case sensitive..make sure you are using the correct case.

Pete_M
Level 2

Hello Nagalla,
Thanks for getting back to me. As suggested, I have now done the following (checking case sensitivity) :-
1. Gone to Host Properties of my Notes test server
2. Navigated to Windows Client ----> Exclude List
3. Under the Exclude List Section I have removed :-
4. Under the 'Exceptions to Exclude list' I have removed (for the policy XX_NOTES_TEST)
5.  Going back to Policy XX_NOTES_TEST, I have changed the backup selection to :

This fails with none of the files in the file list exist(71)  (see bottom for detailed Status)

The reason I setup the exclusion / exception to exclusion, was based on the following link which stipulates that the * wildcard "represents everything after a specific path" which I interpreted to be all files as opposed to specifying specific file types such as only *.dir & *.nrf

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17539

29/01/2014 13:12:08 - Info nbjm(pid=1140) starting backup job (jobid=1043678) for client notes_server.com, policy XX_NOTES_TEST, schedule Daily_Backup 
29/01/2014 13:12:08 - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
29/01/2014 13:12:08 - Info nbjm(pid=1140) started backup (backupid=notes_server.com_1391001128) job for client notes_server.com, policy XX_NOTES_TEST, schedule Daily_Backup on storage unit my_datadomain
29/01/2014 13:12:10 - started process bpbrm (33076)
29/01/2014 13:12:16 - Info bpbrm(pid=33076) notes_server.com is the host to backup data from    
29/01/2014 13:12:16 - Info bpbrm(pid=33076) reading file list from client       
29/01/2014 13:12:17 - connecting
29/01/2014 13:12:20 - Info bpbrm(pid=33076) starting bpbkar32 on client        
29/01/2014 13:12:20 - connected; connect time: 00:00:03
29/01/2014 13:12:21 - Info bpbkar32(pid=3892) Backup started          
29/01/2014 13:12:21 - Info bptm(pid=28576) start           
29/01/2014 13:12:21 - Info bptm(pid=28576) using 262144 data buffer size       
29/01/2014 13:12:21 - Info bptm(pid=28576) setting receive network buffer to 1049600 bytes     
29/01/2014 13:12:21 - Info bptm(pid=28576) using 64 data buffers        
29/01/2014 13:12:23 - Info bpbrm(pid=33076) from client notes_server.com: TRV - object not found for file system backup: D:\DATA\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*.dir
29/01/2014 13:12:24 - Info bpbrm(pid=33076) from client notes_server.com: TRV - object not found for file system backup: D:\DATA\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*.nrf
29/01/2014 13:12:25 - Error bpbrm(pid=33076) could not send server status message      
29/01/2014 13:12:27 - end writing
none of the files in the file list exist(71)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Been trying to get my head around why this does not work.

Without any exclude/include lists, just having a backup selection of, e.g. D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*.dir, should backup anything with a suffix of '.dir' if there are any such files within D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data.

This confuses matters only a little, but is eminently doable and follows your initial plan somewhat.

Make your exclude/include lists policy specific such that you are not excluding any files from any other backups that do not need exclusions. Then set up as follows:

Backup selection for policy: D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*   [this should be at a level under which all files you need to backup are found]

Policy specific exclude list: D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\*    [i.e. excluding whole of backup selection]

Just tested this here with C:\Documents and Settings\awelburn\My Documents\* as both backup selection and exclude list for my PC and an include list of *.doc - results were every .doc file at whatever level under 'My Documents'

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

does these *.dir & *.nrf files are active files which are accessd by the any ohter application..?

could you try the same backup again by enabling the bpbkar log in the Client with VERBOSE = 5  and attach to this post

make sure you have bpbkar log Dir created in client installpath\veritas\netbackup\logs

Pete_M
Level 2

Andy, your solution worked :) 

By using your method :-

Backup selection for policy: D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\* [this should be at a level under which all files you need to backup are found]

Policy specific exclude list: D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\* [i.e. excluding whole of backup selection]

This does indeed start from the D:\Data\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data folder and backs up both file types in that folder and all subfolders. 

FYI : *.nrf - redirector if a database is moved elsewhere.   *.dir - directory link   (basically from my understanding pointers).   They are not live files and essentially config.

Thank you very much to both of you - Nagalla & Andy.  Your efforts are appreciated and stopped me losing any more hair ;)