cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Check the vCenter Connectivity and Information from Backup Server - VMWare backup

Deb_Techie
Level 4

Hi Friends

I there any command available by using which I can Identify the VM host is connected to Which vCenter? I have only access to Master and Media Server, No Access to Client is available.

Please let me know in case it is feasible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ah! I think I see what you are asking.

Well - you can create a new policy of type VMware, set the backup host on the VMware tab - and then on the clients list you can select Add and Browse - there you can see them all

This is done automatically every 8 hours by NetBackup and it creates an XML file on the VMware Backup host (stored under the vmware directory under the machines temp directory if i remember correctly - or \program files\veritas\netbackup\online_util\fi_cntl\)

All details are stored in that and i think they are also stored under the bpvmutil log folder too - as before every backup it queries the list

The command it runs is the nbdiscover command - from a previous post this is the type of command used:

nbdiscover -noxmloutput "vmware:/?filter=vCenter Contains 'vcenter01'"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

tpconfig -dvirtualmachines

is the command which actaully display all the registored Virtual Machine Credentials (Vcenter/Esxi/Restore Esxi)

you can also see this from GUI---> Credentials--> Virtual Machine Credentials

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When you go to the credentials section if you double click your vCenter Server, select one of your backup hosts under the "For backup host:" section and click OK it will run a check that it can connect

If it just closes then all is OK - if not you will get an error displayed

You can then repeat this selecting the next backup host to check that they can all authenticate

Once complete open it up again and select <Any> as the "For backup host" and save it again.

Hope this helps

Deb_Techie
Level 4

tpconfig -dvirtualmachines will display all the vCenter Servers which are included in the backup configuration. but here my requirement is want to know the "client is connected to which vcenter" if we have multiple vcenter configured.

hope the Question is Clear now

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ah! I think I see what you are asking.

Well - you can create a new policy of type VMware, set the backup host on the VMware tab - and then on the clients list you can select Add and Browse - there you can see them all

This is done automatically every 8 hours by NetBackup and it creates an XML file on the VMware Backup host (stored under the vmware directory under the machines temp directory if i remember correctly - or \program files\veritas\netbackup\online_util\fi_cntl\)

All details are stored in that and i think they are also stored under the bpvmutil log folder too - as before every backup it queries the list

The command it runs is the nbdiscover command - from a previous post this is the type of command used:

nbdiscover -noxmloutput "vmware:/?filter=vCenter Contains 'vcenter01'"

Will_Restore
Level 6

try nbdiscover

nbdiscover -noxmloutput "vmware:/?filter=vCenter Equal \"vcentername\" "

# note the two quotes at the end of the phrase

Will_Restore
Level 6

Mark beat me by a few minutes :)

Deb_Techie
Level 4

Thanks Mark & wr, will check this and let you know the results