cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to configure HP Storageworks DAT 40 (DDS4) tape drive on SLES11 media server

Ash23
Level 2

Hi All,
I am quite new to netbackup and also this forum, my first post.
Anyhow, I am having an issue with configuring an internal HP Storageworks DAT 40 SCSI drive with my media server that is runnig SLES11.
I am using Netbackup Enterprise server 6.5 on both the master (Windows 2003) and the media server(SLES11).

I have followed all the steps in the linux device configuration guide and everything is setup correctly.
I have checked with /sbin/lsmod that the st and sg drivers are installed and they are.
The no rewind device files are present which are /dev/nst0

cat /proc/scsi/scis shows my tape drive, see below.

nbu-media:~ # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C5683A           Rev: C305
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI  SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3250620A       Rev: 3.AA
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 05

I am able to write, read and extract .tar files to and from the drive at the OS level so I really dont think it is an issue with the drive itself.
I can access the drive status, rewind and perform all other possible drive functions with mt.

I have run tests on the drive using the "HP Library and Tape Tools" utility.
All tests complete successfully.

Now, when I try to add the drive on my master server through "configure storage devices" I only tick the media server because it is the only system with a tape drive installed.
The tape drive is detected and it looks as if it is going to work. In the field "state" it says configured. In the field "serialized" it says yes. However, in the "limitations" field it says yes, see properties.
When I click on properties and then select the additional information tab it says "No configuration device file exists".

I have tried adding the drive manually through tpconfig but it does not work properly.

If anyone has any ideas or tips for me I would really appreciate it because I am not sure where to go from here.
Please let me know if more details are needed to diagnose the issue properly.
Thanks in advance for any ideas that people throw back my way.
Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This tape drive seems to be unsupported by NetBackup  ;(. I have searched the Compatibility Guide, but cannot find your tape drive: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/284599.pdf

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This tape drive seems to be unsupported by NetBackup  ;(. I have searched the Compatibility Guide, but cannot find your tape drive: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/284599.pdf

Ash23
Level 2

Hi Marianne,
Thanks for your reply.
I feel a little silly as it is something that I didnt even think to check.
Would have saved myself a lot of time if I had done so before setting it up.