cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to perform PIT recoveries of Domino Databases with NetBackup

mccleld
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to perform a point in time recovery of a Lotus Domino database from the CLI using the NetBackup `bprestore` restore command but am only able to recover to the current point in time - I'm hoping somebody here can help as I'm fairly sure I'm following the documentation correctly.

The .NSF database in question is being backed up using the Lotus Notes agent/add-in for the standard NBU client. I am able to perform the equivalent point in time restore using the ‘Backup, Archive and Restore’ GUI, but my attempts from the CLI result in recovery of only the most recent version of the database, irrespective of what PointInTime I specify.

NBU Master Server 6.5.6
NBU Client 6.5.6
Lotus Domino 8.5
Windows 2003R2

My backup command is:

bprestore -R /C/tmp/rename_file.txt -t 25 -L /C/tmp/restore.log "C/Program Files/IBM/Lotus/Domino/data/mail/administ.nsf" 

My /C/tmp/rename_file.txt looks like this:

LOTUS_NOTES NoRecovery NO
LOTUS_NOTES ZapId YES
LOTUS_NOTES ZapReplicaID YES
LOTUS_NOTES PointInTime 1290571200
LOTUS_NOTES WaitTime 0
LOTUS_NOTES RecoveryWait NO

The PointInTime directive here translates into 24 Nov 2010 04:00:00. The database is subject to a daily Full backup at 18:00 and a Differential Incremental every hour (which I have verified have been running).

Upon performing the `bprestore` command above, my /C/tmp/restore.log file reveals the following highlights:

Restoring from image created 24/11/2010 14:49:58 [this is the most recent differential incremental backup image]
INF - Begin Lotus point in time database recovery to: 24/11/2010 04:00:00 GMT [this is my required point in time as per the rename file]
ERR - C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\mail\administ.nsf Recovery Failed! (0x13EB:Recovery Manager: Backup was later than recovery point in time.)
INF - TAR RECOVERED 0 of 1 DATABASES SUCCESSFULLY
Status of restore from image created 24/11/2010 14:49:58 = the requested operation was successfuly completed
INF - Server status = 0  

So, a few things concern me here - firstly, my restore has failed as per what I'd asked it to do, yet the overall status returned is success (as seen in the Activity Monitor).

However, more fundamentally, that the restore itself has failed perplexes to me. I've asked for a Point In Time recovery, yet NetBackup seems to have restored an image from *after* the point in time that I've specified (even though it has clearly recognised the PointInTime that I'd specified in the restore.log above) and then what's more has complained that it's from later that my specified recovery point in time.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on here?

I've been referencing this Symantec technote throughout: How to perform a NetBackup for Lotus Notes point-in-time restore of "logged" Domino databases from command line http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24932&key=15143&actp=LIST

Many thanks for any suggestions as to where to look for further clues!

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I see nothing wrong with your command or rename file (I have learned that the rename-file on Windows needs <CR> on the last line, but I doubt that it's causing the problem here).

Do yo have bprd log on the master server? I'm curious to see if it contains any indication of why the 14:49 backup was selected.

Does bplist and/or bpimagelist with begin and end date of something like 11/24/2010 01:00 to 11/24/2010 16:00 list the specific backup that you are looking for?