cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run bpstart_notify or bpend_notify scripts for FlashBackup-Windows policy

Alize
Level 3

Need some help and advice on this. I found the following article indicating that bpstart_notify or bpend_notify scripts cannot be run on flashbackup-windows policy.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH127948

My main intention is to use command such as NET STOP MSSQLSERVER to stop the SQL services prior performing a full backup of the VM. I understand that using the MS SQL client agent, I can backup the DB with application consistency. However, I will like to explore performing a full VM backup with the services stop to ensure that DB remain consistent.

Any suggestion and help will be great. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at the 'Application Aware VMware Backup' feature in NBU 7.5.
Extract from NBU for VMWare Admin Guide

■ Application Aware VMware Backup
During virtual machine backup, NetBackup can map the database files that
reside in the virtual machine. This feature enables recovery of individual
database files from the backup. This feature supports Microsoft Exchange
Server, SQL Server, and SharePoint Server.
See “ About the virtual machine backups that include database data”
on page 16.
See “Application protection options (VMware)” on page 56.

Alize
Level 3

Hi Marianne, thanks for the advice. I am aware that NBU 7.5 provide the level of application consistency without the need for the MS SQL client configuration. Unfortunately, I am not able to upgrade my NBU 7.1.x environment as of now. What I hope to do for now is to have a way to stop the Windows services before running the flashbackup for the VMs.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems your only options in NBU 7.1 is to rely on the Symantec VSS Provider for VMware.

See Appendix B of NBU for VMWare Guide.