cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update new serial no. for the replaced drive

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Vendor has replaced the faulty drive, given the new serial no., the thing is that when i updated new serial no. its showing updated in the Global data base.

When ever i reset the drive its showing Invalid Drive Number.

We are using Netbackup 7.5 latest version, OS is    Linux  media server 1 2.6.16.60-0.97.TDC.1.R.0-smp #1 SMP Tue Oct 2 00:16:30 PDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

When i have checked from Netbackup end and OS level(tpautoconf -t) the output is same..its nw taking new updated serial no.

Moreover we are using storagetec liabrary, i can able to see the new drive serial no from SLconsole but unable to see from Netbackup end, when trying to do soo its not updating and throwing error 

INVALID DRIVE NUMBER

Any one can help me in sorting out this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

As i discussed earlier Vendor has replaced the drive once again correctly, We have updated the new serial no

and right now drive is UP and working fine without any issue as of now...

ThankQ you very much All of you for for your Valuable suggestions,

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Can any one in the Forum help me out in fixxing the issue please

SaurabhHeda
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Sanjay,

Does the scan -tape command shows the new serial number?

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan -tape

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -report_disc

See the below tech notes:

DOCUMENTATION: How to update NetBackup for a replaced tape drive without deleting and re-adding the drive
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH34296

How to update VERITAS NetBackup (tm) if a tape drive is replaced in a robot
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH94243

Let me know if it helps :)

Thanks,

Saurabh

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Easiest is to delete old drive and then run Device Config wizard to add the new drive.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Or use tpautoconf -replace_drive option ...  Example of how to do this is in the tpautoconf man page

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Scan -tape command does not show any new serial no. wich has changed for the replaced drive..

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -report_disc gives the info  other drive not the issue with the original drive

MediaServer:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin # tpautoconf -report_disc
=========== Missing Device or no local control path (Robot) ===========
 Defined as robotic TLD(0)
 Inquiry = "STK     SL3000          4.02"
 Serial Number = 571000200966
 Robot Path = /dev/sg3
 Robot Control Host = Master server
 Drive = 11, Drive Name = 03, Serial Number = MXP1233MG2

tpautoconf -t commands give old serial no not new ones..

Yes I have done with this command  tpautoconf -replace_drive option 

it is showing

Found a matching device in global DB, Mediaserver03 on host ....

but actually it is not updating new serial no...

Can any one tell me how to proceed?

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Can i go ahead with deleting the drive and add the drive through device config wizard?

if i perform those steps can my drive will be visible or else it dissapears?

As it happens one time for me earlier..

Please tell me how to follow ...with detailed explanation to sort out the isssue...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

tpautoconf -t commands give old serial no not new ones..

You may have to reboot the server to see the new tape drive. NBU needs the OS to access devices.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The replace drive comand wasn't done correctly, as it would have 'removed' the old drive.

The presence of a missing drive doesn't really matter, it's only cosmetic, but he only way I know to get rid of it is to delete all devices and re-add them.

It doesn't sound as if the OS is seeing the replaced drive correctly, if it was, you would see it in tpautoconf of scan command.

If you run 

cat /proc/scsi/scsi  

Do you see the correct total number of drives ?

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

Please find my Observations,

I have deleted the drive throgh command line and Again configured the drive throgh Device configured Wizard,

But im surprise to see that the faulty drive wch is replaced without updating new serial no went to the

STANDALONE MODE, Can any one Explain me why the Drive went to Standalone mode and how to bring it backup to normal mode.

During my Investigations i have found the below things:-

We are unable to update new drive serial no.in global database for the replaced drive 03 in Media server 3

While investigating It is found that the drive 17 in Media server 7 was wrongly replaced instead of drive 03 in Media

server 3.

However SLConsole and Netbackup end its showing old serial no.MXP32700DG only for the drive 03 in Media server 3

So I have immediately raised Serv 2 Cal with Vendor with my obervations,So he is going to replace the wrongly replace drive

Need to check from Netbackup end Still the  Problem persists or not once the drive is replaced...

And Moreover Once the drive is replaced what about the Standalonde drive it wil come back to Normal Mode Again....?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If drive is standalone, it will be in AVR mode, not TLD.

Double click the drive in the GUI, and select it as being in a robot

Media device management > Devices > Drives

Select in the dropdown the robot the drive is in and in the other dropdown, the robot drive position.

This is usually found by seeing the position of the drives serial number in the changer part of scan output (it lists all the drives in the robot, in the correct order).

I presume you elected the drive as being in the robot when you re-added it, if it still goes to standalone then the only thing I can think of is that NBU isn't matching the new drives serial number to a serial number of a drive in the robot - and given your serial number issues, this sounds likely.

In theory, deleting the old drive and adding the new shoould work - difficult to comment more without looking oin the NBDB (nbdb_unload output) after the drive is deleted to see where it is left.

There may be some tmp files left around :

/usr/openv/volmgr/misc (complete dir)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/tpreq  (files in this dir)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/drives (files in this dir)

With ltid stopped on the media server(s), these files can be safely deleted.

sanjaynaidu
Level 3

As i discussed earlier Vendor has replaced the drive once again correctly, We have updated the new serial no

and right now drive is UP and working fine without any issue as of now...

ThankQ you very much All of you for for your Valuable suggestions,