cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unble to choose restore destination

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, I have an issue when I do a restore.

I start Backup, Archive and Restore interface in master server and select the client which contains the file I want to restore as source.  However, I am unable to choose the destination. It shows destination as the master server and it is greyed out, I cannot change it.

I am thinking maybe some settings are incorrect. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In BAR, go to File -> NetBackup Client Properties.

Ensure that Client Name is set to Master's own hostname.

After that, go to File -> Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type.

Here you should be able to see 3 fields: Server, Source Client, Destination Client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

You did not mention your NBU version or Master server OS?

What you are experiencing is normally when the server's 'configured client name' was changed.

If Unix master, check CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf. There must be only one CLIENT_NAME entry and must be the master server's own name.

If Windows master - easiest to check registry entry - HKLM - Software - Veritas - NetBackup - CurrentVersion - Config. Ensure Client_Name is set to Master's hostname.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your reply.

My NBU version is 7.0 and it runs on windows 2008 R2 server.

Marianne
Level 6

In BAR, go to File -> NetBackup Client Properties.

Ensure that Client Name is set to Master's own hostname.

After that, go to File -> Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type.

Here you should be able to see 3 fields: Server, Source Client, Destination Client.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your replies.

Now I can choose the destination client for restore. In the restore option wizard, if I choose to restore everything to its orginal location in the client, it can successfully be restored.

However, if I choose to restore to another location and select Browse, I found I am still browsing the master server. I thought I should be able to browse the client and restore the files to another location in that client.

Is there any setting that I can check?

Marianne
Level 6

Seems the 'Browse bug' is still not fixed...

Just type the restore destination manually.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Thought that was as designed, or am I missing something? (don't answer that!)

"...
This button is enabled when Restore everything to a different location is selected. Click Browse to open the Browse for Folder dialog box. Then select a destination folder.

You browse the local machine where the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface runs, even if you redirect a restore to a different client.
..."

Or, was it a bug that changed into a feature? ;)

Marianne
Level 6

It kind of defeats the whole purpose - I consider this to be a bug (even though it's documented). The file structure could be totally different on the destination client. If I browse the local machine that only has a C-drive, I cannot select the D-drive and a specific folder on the destination client. The Browse function in a backup policy will browse the client's filesystem. The same capability should be available when doing a restore. (Maybe time to add this request as an IDEA...)

We have just learned over time to NEVER use the Browse function. Just manually enter the destination.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

The browse should be for the destination client, not where you're running the BAR from. If you want to restore to the latter then just choose that as the destination client - seems logical to me, get that Idea posted!