cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall of NB agent from multiple servers

JerseyCane
Level 3
I'm in the process of replacing my 5.1 server with a new 6.5 server.
Is there any way to uninstall the 5.1 agent from about 100 servers besides doing it manually ?
I found a silentuninstall.cmd file on the cd, but it doesn't do anything when I copy the cd contents to the server and run this file.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified
after upgradning You can edit client properites and point to new Master.

Or in the current environement, edit client properties on server (java gui) and add yet addtional server to each client. This should be ok with the server initiated backups. backups initiated from clients probably will still be directed to the 5.1 server - since this one would be the very first in hierarchy.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

My short answer to your question is no, (within my knowledge) there's no option to uninstall from multiple clients at once.

Why do you want to uninstall NetBackup Client software from all those (Windoes) NetBackup client systems? (Do I understand you right?)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/288210 says (on page 12 of the pdf) that version 6.5 master server is compatible with 5.1 clients.

*EDIT*
I mean, you do not need to uninstall current version of NetBackup client software from your Windows systems (NetBackup clients) to upgrade them to 6.5 - you just install on top of it (the installer will recognize existing software and do the upgrade install)

And, given that the backward compatibility is there, you can do the upgrade of 100+ NBU clients over time, not all in one day.
*EDIT*

Abe

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
you don't have to consider re-applying settings such as exclude_lists which could be a right royal pain.

JerseyCane
Level 3
how do I have the clients recognize the new 6.5 media/master server ?
My 6.5 server will be an entriely separate physical server.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
after upgradning You can edit client properites and point to new Master.

Or in the current environement, edit client properties on server (java gui) and add yet addtional server to each client. This should be ok with the server initiated backups. backups initiated from clients probably will still be directed to the 5.1 server - since this one would be the very first in hierarchy.

JerseyCane
Level 3
, can I still have the clients be backed up by the 5.1 media/master server ?
Temporaily ofcourse, until I can move over our tape library to the new 6.5 server.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
If you are replacing & upgrading your current Master, I would search the forum for proven methods.

Basically, this would entail building your new Master with same IP/hostname as current (off n/w). Carrying out a catalog recovery on your new Master from your last catalog backup. Run with the new Master until satisfied it's stable & then look to upgrading to 6.5.

***Edit***
This is presuming your new Master is the same platform (Solaris etc) as the old, if not that complicates matters & involves Symantec & $$$$$$$ !!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I had a 5.1 master and media servers and clients.

Built a new 6.5 master and media server.

My 5.1 master continued to backup my clients.

then I slowly upgraded clients to 6.5.  As I upgraded them I added the new master to their properites as well as the new media.  Took them out of the 5.1 policies and started the backups on the 6.5 master.
I kept the name of the 5.1 master in the other servers list and as a media server on the clients.
Then if I needed to do a restore of a tape that was made on the 5.1 master.  I would change the client so pointing to the old 5.1 server during the restore.  When done put it back to the 6.5 server.  Did not have to do this too often.  And I kept the 5.1 around until all the images it had expired.  Then I went and cleaned any old references from all the clients.

JerseyCane
Level 3
Can the 6.5 clients be backed up by a 5.1 master/media server ?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
The master has to be same or Higher then the client.

that is why as I upgrded the clients I moved the backups to the new master.
but I was able to still do restores from the 5.1 master with the client at 6.5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... how it works one way, but not the other.   :s

Stumpr2
Level 6
That is exactly how I did it for the State of Michigan for the migration from 5.1 to 6.0 :)

However, I did have a problem with the Oracle clients as rman wanted to do a verify of the last successful backup before doing the first one on the 6.0 master's environment and it was not available because it was back on the 5.1 environment.  It's been a couple years so I forgot what the solution we came up for resolving that issue.

JerseyCane
Level 3
This will get me going in the right direction.