cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Netbackup 6.5.4 to 7.1 (OS version mismatch, New Hardware)

Jim_Horalek
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I need a solution. I'm upgrading a Redhat ES 4.x x86_64 with NBU 6.5.4 to a new hardware with Redhat ES 6 x86_64 which will be running NBU 7.1

One solution is to install NBU 6.5.4 on Redhat 5 on the new server (transfer the catalogs), then upgrade to NBU 7.1. (6.5.4 Master not supported on RH6)

Then upgrade the new server to RH 6. Seems like a lot of work with many perils.

Just a single server with Master and Media on same box. (no windows clients, Unix clients, no special agents or options)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Mark - upgrade the current server to 7.

Take the necessary precautions by running NBCC and doing a hot catalog backup before the upgrade.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Odd thing is, looking at the latest 6.5 compatibility list the ES version you are currently on doesnt appear as far as i can see.

The 6.5, 7.0 and 7.1 lists all look pretty much the same - just insiting that after V7 you must be on 64 bits.

So if you are already on 64 bits and it is all working this does imply that you should be able to upgrade you current system to at least 7.0.1 and then do the catalog backup and restore to your new server which would make it much easier

You may want to raise it with Symantec to confirm - or one of their employees here may answer that without you raising a call

Hope this helps

Jim_Horalek
Level 4

Yes looks like NBU 7.0 is supported on RH 4 (didn't notice that). I still need to confirm its a 64bit system.

I'd rather not change the original server though (in case things go bad).

I wont be able to call tech support until I know more.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - good luck - I think if your current system is 64 bits then going to 7.0.1 first will make this easy for you.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Mark - upgrade the current server to 7.

Take the necessary precautions by running NBCC and doing a hot catalog backup before the upgrade.