cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Windows media server with MSDP from 8.0 to 8.2

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I have a small NBU environment with a Windows master server (running as a vm) and a single Windows media server that has a tape library and small MSDP. The master server has been upgrade from 8.0 to 8.2 and I am now looking to upgrade the media server from 8.0 to 8.2.

For the media server upgrade, the upgrade guide includes the following as Step 8

(Conditional) If the media servers has MSDP, the upgrade includes a rolling data conversion. After successful conversion and when you are comfortable with the new storage format, clean up storage artifacts from the conversion process, as follows:

■ UNIX: /usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin/stconv --cleanup
■ Windows: install path\Veritas\pdde\stconv.exe --cleanup

The MSDP is tiny (only 100GB of space is used) as most of the backups go to tape and an Exchange backups stages to MSDP prior to going to tape. I've opted not to go for any pre-upgrade conversion as I don't see the need for this size of MSDP.

My question is what command do I run to see that the rolling conversion has completed successfully and I can now run the cleanup command given above?

What is the impact of not running the cleanup command? As the data is only kept on the MSDP for two weeks and so converted data will be deleted after a short time anyway.... perhaps I can just leave the old data to naturally expire?

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi

Use the utility crcontrol to see the status of the conversion:
<install_path>\Veritas\pdde\bin\crcontrol --dataconvertstate

The output should be (mostly) self explanatory.

For example on a system I converted earllier:

/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin # ./crcontrol --dataconvertstate
***** Data Conversion *****

***** KMS Conversion *****
KMS : Not enabled

The cleanup phase will tidy up the MSDP pool once complete. You could skip, but it is good practice to run this once the conversion is complete. It is not critical to run the cleanup straight away, but should be done. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi

Use the utility crcontrol to see the status of the conversion:
<install_path>\Veritas\pdde\bin\crcontrol --dataconvertstate

The output should be (mostly) self explanatory.

For example on a system I converted earllier:

/usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin # ./crcontrol --dataconvertstate
***** Data Conversion *****

***** KMS Conversion *****
KMS : Not enabled

The cleanup phase will tidy up the MSDP pool once complete. You could skip, but it is good practice to run this once the conversion is complete. It is not critical to run the cleanup straight away, but should be done. 

Cheers