cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 7.1.0.4 to 7.5

CoMurphy
Level 4

Hi I have been searching for a simple way to upgrade from 7.1.0.4 to at minimum the latest patch of 7.5

First, Is there a simple easy to read guide on doing this? Most I have seen have been a bit complex and I am by no means a backup admin.

Second, Are there any known bugs still in 7.5 that may not be in 7.6?

Third, is the upgrade a long process? We have a short maintenance window on Thursdays (AM) we would like to do this in that window.

Thanks,

CM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I am with sri vani. The Symantec Operations Readiness Tools simplifies some of the most time-consuming administrator tasks when it comes to upgrading your NetBackup environment. There are data collection tools that point out common issues, identify installation and upgrade requirements, track product licenses, and gather data for support troubleshooting.

There have actually been a bunch of bug fixes from the 7.5.x versions to the latest version 7.6.0.3. is their anything specific that your looking for?

There is no real way to see how long the upgrade process will be. Its different on every environment. Also what you have in your enviroment will factor in. If your using MSDP there is a tech note to estimate time: TECH213728

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

I recommend you to start your planning with sort:

https://sort.symantec.com/netbackup

U can verify compatibilities,documentation,hot fixes/eeb etc

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There is one way to upgrade without breaking everything.

1. I wouldn't call any Netbackup process "simple". 

2. Every new release contains bug fixes.

3. The time it will take depends on many factors the most important being the hardware and the size of the database.

NOTE:

After you upgrade the master server you also have to upgrade every media server and every client. It can be a long project that will take longer than one day. You can use any deployment software to push out the client software to all the systems in your environment. 

UPGRADE PATHS:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH210461

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I am with sri vani. The Symantec Operations Readiness Tools simplifies some of the most time-consuming administrator tasks when it comes to upgrading your NetBackup environment. There are data collection tools that point out common issues, identify installation and upgrade requirements, track product licenses, and gather data for support troubleshooting.

There have actually been a bunch of bug fixes from the 7.5.x versions to the latest version 7.6.0.3. is their anything specific that your looking for?

There is no real way to see how long the upgrade process will be. Its different on every environment. Also what you have in your enviroment will factor in. If your using MSDP there is a tech note to estimate time: TECH213728

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Upgrade to NBU 7.5 needs to import all image headers into the EMM database.

The time needed depends on the size and number of images in the catalog.

The  NetBackup 7.x Upgrade Portal  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584 is your friend.

It contains a link to SORT, lots of useful info, a link to Late Breaking News TN that lists known bugs and fixes, a link to NetBackup 7.5 Upgrade Guide that explains the migration of image headers and steps to calculate/estimate the time needed for image migration, etc.