cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BPIMPORT Utility on Netbackup

Mohsin_Mansoor
Not applicable
Hi There,

I want to use the bpimport utility to import some data whose retention has been expired, the retention was one year and its now been 15 months.

Can you please guide me on the bpimport utility and especially on how to create the catalogue so that it will not disturb the other backup going on that netbackup server.
2 REPLIES 2

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You can refer to below link which gives step-by-step procedure to import the media.

Step by step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Con...

Also for detailed information on how to use bpimport, refer to NBU Command Ref, page number 156.

Also for changing the retention of the media you can use bpexpdate command. You can find this info in the NBU Command Ref, page number 119

hope this helps and answers your queries.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Importing a tape does not impact backups so long as you have enough tapes drives.

So if you have a free tape drive you can start the import and do both phases while backups are running.

NB is just going to read the tape and make the catalog entries for what is on the tape - almost just like it does when backing up to tape.  So there is no impact.  I just would not do it while a catalog backup is going on  ( it won't hurt it but you would not get all the new info on your catalog backup).